The Akron Art Museum, dedicated to enriching lives through modern and contemporary art, showcases regional, national and international art created since 1850. The museum’s collection is presented in a spectacular facility designed by Viennese architectural firm Coop Himmelb(l)au and includes over 5,000 works of art, with a strong focus on contemporary painting, sculpture and photography.
The Akron Children's Museum? We have created a museum for children in the Akron area that allows kids to explore, imagine, create, construct, let loose and learn. Our museum is modeled after the nation’s top children’s museums that will encourage learning through fun, active and interactive play.
In 1997 and 1998, the 404-acre Bath Nature Preserve was purchased. It is a parcel of land consisting of several environmental habitats--wetlands, woodlands, riparian, and old-field habitats. It is a parcel of land consisting of several environmental habitats--wetlands, woodlands, riparian, and old-field habitats.
Munroe Falls Brust Park is the spot where there use to be a dam for 188 years! It was removed in 2006. You’ll find people resting, taking in nature, and even getting their portrait taken on the large granite. The granite looks like it is outdoor theater seating with the Cuyahoga River as the stage.
Named for Sherman and Mary Schumacher, who donated 171 acres to Summit Metro Parks in 1968, Schumacher Valley remains one of the most rugged areas within the city of Akron. Located in the valley's pre-glacial bedrock canyon are steep-cut ravines indicative of the Cuyahoga River's tributary streams.
The Drs. Nicholas and Dorothy Cummings Center for the History of Psychology, located at The University of Akron in Akron, Ohio, is a unique institution that cares for, provides access to, and interprets the historical record of psychology and related human sciences.
Little Cuyahoga River Restoration Phase I - East of Seiberling Street to Martha Ave Project Objective: The Phase I Little Cuyahoga River Restoration Project will restore approximately, 2,352 LF beginning east of Seiberling Street to Martha Ave. Currently, the river through this reach has a combination of impairments such as channelization, levees, bank armoring and riparian removal/disturbance.
Goodyear Heights Metro Park opened in 1930 on land donated by Akron's Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company and land purchased from local resident Gilbert Waltz. During the Depression, Metro Parks acquired additional acres by paying delinquent taxes on surrounding properties.
Gorge Metro Park is located on 155 acres. Enjoy a day of fun and adventurous activity with a fishing dock, picnic areas with grills, restrooms & more. Enjoy a day of fun and adventurous activity with a fishing dock, picnic areas with grills, restrooms & more.
Hampton Hills is one of the larger Metro Parks, encompassing 655 acres. This park is a great example of the topography left behind from the last ice age. The glacially-formed Adam Run Valley was home to several American Indian tribes prior to settlement in the early 1800s.
Mountain Bike Trail---The park district’s first mountain bike trails include beginner, moderate and intermediate sections. With about 7 miles of ridable trails available, plans are in place to add more miles to the course, including advanced trails. Learn more about mountain biking in the Summit Metro Parks.
Find Indian Signal Tree in Akron with Address, Phone number from Yahoo US Local. Includes Indian Signal Tree Reviews, maps & directions to Indian Signal Tree in Akron and more from Yahoo US Local Find Indian Signal Tree in Akron with Address, Phone number from Yahoo US Local.
Lake Anna would be a part of early Barberton life from the beginning but it was not really a public park, although it was treated as such by the local Barbertonians, mainly due to Barber‘s largess. On the shores of Lake Anna, Barber and the Barberton Land and Improvement Company built the beautiful Barberton Inn to help promote the town.
Akron, OH Located along the historic Ohio & Erie Canal, Lock 2 is one of 19 locks once used to move canal boats. It's located on the Towpath Trail in between Akron Children's Hospital and Canal Park Stadium and is now an open and inviting public space that recently underwent some enhancements.
American Indians formerly used Old Maid's Kitchen, which also is known as Mary Campbell Cave, for shelter and -- sometimes -- to house white captives. The cave is located in Cuyahoga Falls in Summit County, Ohio. The Cuyahoga River carved out the cave approximately twelve thousand years ago.
The 998-acre Sand Run Metro Park opened in 1929, but the area has been welcoming visitors for centuries. The land surrounding Mingo Pavilion was a campsite for Mingo Indians. Portage Path was once an important Native American trail between the Cuyahoga and Tuscarawas rivers; later, it was the western boundary of the United States. A high ridge above the Wadsworth Area was a lookout point for General Elijah Wadsworth, who made his camp near the present-day Old Portage Area during the War of 1812.
The Ohio & Erie Canalway is a National Heritage Area designated by Congress in 1996 to help preserve and celebrate the rails, trails, landscapes, towns and sites that grew up along the first 110 miles of the canal that helped America and our nation grow.
<p>The <b>Perkins Stone Mansion</b> is a <a href="/pages/w/107138012656051">historic house museum</a> in <a href="/pages/w/104114042957938">Akron</a>, <a href="/pages/w/104024609634842">Ohio</a>, United States.</p><h2>Overview</h2><p>The mansion is owned and operated by <a href="/pages/w/177200048983157">The Summit County Historical Society of Akron, Ohio</a> and is also the organization's headquarters.
The Akron rubber strike of 1936 was a strike by workers against rubber factory owners in Akron, Ohio. During the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries, rubber factory workers, including those who worked for the three major rubber factories in Akron, OH, faced poor working conditions, low wages, and close to no benefits.
The 998-acre Sand Run Metro Park opened in 1929, but the area has been welcoming visitors for centuries. The land surrounding Mingo Pavilion was a campsite for Mingo Indians. Portage Path was once an important Native American trail between the Cuyahoga and Tuscarawas rivers; later, it was the western boundary of the United States.
Springfield Bog Metro Park opened January 5, 2011. Over the last few years, visitors have seen quite a change as more than 40 varieties of prairie plants have transformed the former farmland into a thriving prairie. Creating valuable habitat for grassland bird species.
Exercise parks for older adults featuring low-impact exercise equipment are popular in other countries, but rare in the United States. The Springfield Lake Adult Exercise Park opened in November, 2011 and is the first of its kind in the State of Ohio.
A 500-gallon gasoline tank was buried on the north side of the Carriage House and allowed for greater self-sufficiency and fiscal savings. Today this space serves as the Orientation Room, where guests are introduced to the history of Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens and the Seiberling family, prior to their tour.
Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, Summit Metro Parks manages 14,300 acres, including 16 parks, several conservation areas and more than 125 miles of trails, with 22.4 miles of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail. Annual attendance averages 5.2 million visits.
Richard Howe House. Located overlooking the Ohio & Erie Canal at 47 West Exchange Street, the Richard Howe House is a canal-era landmark in downtown Akron. Known as the "Howe Mansion" by travelers on the Ohio & Erie Canal, this 1836 high-style Federal structure was the home of Canalway engineer Richard Howe.
Wingfoot Lake Wildlife Area; Boating. Paddlecraft and boats with motors up to 10 horsepower are permitted on the 444-acre lake. Boat rentals (pontoon and paddlecraft) are available from Memorial Day through Labor Day, Wednesday through Sunday, 11am to 8pm. A launch ramp is located in the Wingfoot Lake Wildlife Area adjacent to the park.
In 2006, Goodyear closed Wingfoot Lake Park. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife purchased 690 acres of the Wingfoot Lake property in 2009, including Wingfoot Lake. Approximately 121 acres adjacent to the lake was transferred to the Division of Parks and Recreation in 2009 and added to the state park system.