The rich collections now housed at Blackburn Museum and Art Gallery were born from the proceeds of this industry and the generosity of its industrialists. Perhaps the best known painting at Blackburn is Frederic Leighton’s 'Mother and Child', or ‘Cherries’ as it is more affectionately known, referring to the sweet child feeding her mother ruby red cherries.
Corporation park (18 ha) is a traditional Victorian park close to the centre of Blackburn. The park is now registered by English Heritage as a park and garden of special historic interest. Corporation park has been awarded the prestigious Green Flag award; the national standard for parks and green spaces.
Turton and Entwistle Reservoir is a water reservoir in the village of Edgworth, Lancashire, England. The reservoir's existence is due to the Entwistle Dam. When constructed in 1832 the Entwistle Dam was the highest in Britain; it rises 108 feet from the base.
A HYNDBURN park has become the first in the country to receive a prestigious environmental award. Gatty Park in Church was awarded a gold level Green Apple Award for Environmental Best Practice, which is usually granted only to large-scale environmental schemes. This year's list of global winners ...
Grasslands are areas dominated by grasses and forbs, and have few or no trees. Grazing and roaming animals occur in abundance. They occupy about one quarter of the Earth's land area. © Midori Layzell Legal Status/Protection. Less than 8 percent of all grasslands worldwide are protected.
On July 18, 1861, General Irvin McDowell, the Union army commander, learned that the Confederate army had withdrawn from its Centreville earthworks to a strong defensive position behind Bull Run. (A historical marker located in Centreville in Fairfax County, Virginia.)
Hoghton Tower is a fortified manor house located about 0.7 miles (1 km) to the east of the village of Hoghton, Lancashire, England, and standing on a hilltop site on the highest point in the area.It takes its name from the de Hoghton family, its historical owners since at least the 12th century.The present house dates from about 1560–65. It was damaged during the Civil War and subsequently ...
River Ribble at Marles Wood Taking a chance with the showery weather, I took my eldest three off for a walk along the River Ribble from Marles Wood down to Dinckley Footbridge. Marles Wood is a quiet and beautiful piece of woodland close to Salesbury Hall, to the west of the Roman village of Ribchester.
The theme continued with whole school assemblies to highlight the three main charities Rhyddings is supporting. Lancashire Minds, YoungMinds and the Mental Health Foundation. Lancashire Minds and YoungMinds offer direct advice and support for young people, parents and all members of our community.
Railway stations in Blackburn, Former Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway stations, Railway stations opened in 1846, Railway stations served by Northern Rail, Railway request stops in Great Britain, DfT Category F2 stations Round Loaf. Round Loaf is a Neolithic or Bronze Age tumulus on Anglezarke Moor (part of the West Pennine Moors) near Chorley in Lancashire, England. The structure is aligned ...
A forest fire and rock-slide trap five bickering college friends in a small Alaskan ghost town with a horrifying history. When they seek refuge inside the torched ruins of Blackburn Asylum they must fight to survive as the angry inhabitants slaughter the friends one-by-one.
Blackburn is bounded to the south by Darwen, with which it forms the unitary authority of Blackburn with Darwen; Blackburn is its administrative centre. At the time of the UK Government's 2001 census, Blackburn had a population of 105,085, whilst the wider borough of Blackburn with Darwen had a population of 140,700.
Blackburn has many freight options and to ensure our customers are getting the best rates available, any orders over 200 lbs. will be manually calculated. Call us @ 1-800-942-5816 for a quote or we will call you with your freight rate once the order is completed.
A SNAKE that caused a commotion after it escaped from a house in Blackburn has been reunited with its owner. The pine snake alarmed neighbours after being spotted in the middle of the street and hanging from under the bonnet of a car in Irving Place on Wednesday.
Star Delph Quarry (also known as Harper Clough Quarry) lies hidden next to the Wilpshire road. The quarry was first abandoned in 1897. Luckily it has not suffered the fate of landfill like the nearby Close Brow Quarry, as what is hidden in this wooded delph is a record of the carboniferous period.
This statue of William Gladstone stood on the Boulevard, for 50 years or more, before being moved in the 1950's, to the site pictured above (in front of the Technical School) He was moved yet again, in approximately 1979-80, to the spot he occupies to this day, on the corner of Northgate and Blakeymoor.
Re: Mosley Height Stone Circle in Lancashire completely trashed (Score: 0) by Anonymous on Wednesday, 10 January 2007 Greetings-I get notices on Townely Hall- which was our ancestors home and later after some of them made it to America; Our Lady O'hagan donated it to the town.
Turton and Entwistle Reservoir is a reservoir near Edgworth. It lies within the boundaries of Blackburn with Darwen, but is closer to Bolton than Blackburn. It is owned and managed by United Utilities and, together with nearby Wayoh Reservoir, supplies around half of Bolton’s drinking water needs.
Blackburn War Memorial is located in Corporation Park in Blackburn, Lancashire, England. It was originally designed as a memorial for people who lost their lives in the First World War but was later extended to also honour those who lost their lives in the Second World War.
Whalley Abbey is a former Cistercian abbey in Whalley, Lancashire, England. After the dissolution of the monasteries, the abbey was largely demolished and a country house was built on the site. In the 20th century the house was modified and it is now the Retreat and Conference House of the Diocese of Blackburn.
Whalley Viaduct. Known locally as "Whalley Arches", Whalley Viaduct is a 48 span railway bridge crossing the River Calder and a listed structure. It was built between 1846 and 1850 under the engineering supervision of Terrence Wolfe Flanagan and formed part of the Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe and West Yorkshire Railway.