The construction of the Alameda de Paula, one of Havana’s first promenades, was commissioned by Captain General Felipe de Fondesviela, member of the court of King Carlos III, and built by architect Antonio Fernández de Trebejos in 1777.
The park is located on what in colonial times was the site of a military fortress, the Queen’s artillery battery and the small San Lázaro Cove. Restored in 2007 Parque Maceo, has new fountains and benches, plus lush Chinese grass – although it still lacks shade trees.
Named by the Pope as a basilica, the church was completed in 1739, extended to the south to a Fransican convent, and was considered Havana’s premier house of worship. In 1762, during the year of the British control over Havana, the basilica was used for Anglican services.
Bodeguita Del Medio Havanna, Centro Habana, Cuba. 6 likes. Food & Beverage
Today, as the House of Africa, it displays objects of different African cultures, especially ivory carvings, ritual and decorative masks, musical instruments, weapons, tools, and textiles and clothes, many of which are gifts received by Castro from African countries.
The Castillo de la Real Fuerza (English Castle of the Royal Force) is a bastion fort on the western side of the harbour in Havana, Cuba, set back from the entrance, and bordering the Plaza de Armas. Originally built to defend against attack by pirates, it suffered from a poor location; it is too far inside the bay.
Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña, colloquially known as La Cabaña, is an 18th-century fortress complex, the third-largest in the Americas, located on the elevated eastern side of the harbor entrance in Havana, Cuba. The fort rises above the 200-foot hilltop, along with Morro Castle.
San Salvador de la Punta Fortress is a fortress in the bay of Havana, Cuba. History La Punta, just like El Morro was designed to protect the entrance to the Havana Bay that became an important and strategic entranceway to the harbor since the settlement of the town.
Catedral de La Habana ©Marvin del Cid. La Catedral de San Cristóbal de La Habana se encuentra ubicada en la Plaza de la Catedral, en la Habana Vieja, dominada por dos torres desiguales y con una fachada barroca diseñada por el arquitecto italiano Francesco Borromini.
Completed in 1877 after the city walls were knocked down, the park is bordered by El Prado, Zulueta, San José and Neptuno Streets. It is surrounded by significant buildings, such as the Gran Teatro de La Habana; the Inglaterra, Telégrafo, Parque Central and Plaza hotels; the shopping complex known as Manzana de Gómez; and the building devoted to international art of the Museo de Bellas Artes.
Erected in 1640 simultaneously with the Plaza del Cristo around the Ermita del Humilladero–the final station of the Vía Crucis or procession of the Stations of the Cross on Good Friday, which started out at the San Francisco de Asís convent–very little remains of the original building.
Partagás Factory (aka Francisco Pérez Germán) Calle Industria No. 520, Centro Habana The 166-year-old Partagás Factory, arguably Cuba’s best known cigar factory and certainly the one most frequented by tourists, was expected to be closed by now for extensive renovations.
Habana Vieja; Centro Habana; ... are here lahabana.com › Havana Guide › Havana Guide › Museum / Cultural Center › Places in Plaza de San Francisco › Coche ...
Centro Habana; Vedado ... › Church / Other › Places in Southern Habana Vieja › Convento e Iglesia de Santa Clara de ... Menor y Convento de San Francisco ...
To Do in Old Havana, Habana Vieja. Havana Centro . The Capitolio marks the beginning of central Havana, a working class neighborhood, where alot of buildings are almost in a total state of collapse. On the other side of the street you will find Real Fabrica de Tabacos Partagas, one Cuba's oldest cigar factories.
La singular ceremonia del "cañonazo" de La Habana, una tradición que rememora el cierre de la ciudad en tiempos de la colonia española y actualmente uno de sus atractivos turísticos, fue declarada Patrimonio Cultural de la Nación en Cuba, informaron medios oficiales.
El Capitolio, Havana ©XimoPons The El Capitolio Nacional (National Capitol of Cuba) is one of the most emblematic buildings in Havana. This majestic construction, located in the Centro Habana, is similar to that in Washington D.C, but a meter higher, a meter wider, and a meter longer, as well as much more rich in detail.
El Templete Bar & Restaurant derives its name from its proximity (less than 50 meters) to a monument, which, erected in 1828, evokes the founding of the city of Havana in 1519. The bar is a pleasant place for a drink without any hassle–no mojito or Cuba libre here but instead a range of good […]
Miriam Armenteros added a new photo — at Faro Castillo del Morro. · May 4 at 12:32pm · Centro Habana, Cuba · Miriam Armenteros added a new photo — at Faro Castillo del Morro.
Fuente de la India ("Fountain of the Indian woman") is a fountain by Giuseppe Gaggini in Havana, Cuba, at the south extreme of Paseo del Prado, about 100 m south of El Capitolio, between Monte and Dragones Streets, in front of the Hotel Saratoga. The figure represents the Indian woman "Habana" in whose honor Havana was named.
The Gran Teatro de La Habana Alicia Alonso (English: "Great Theatre of Havana Alicia Alonso") is located in the Paseo del Prado in Havana, Cuba. It is located in a building known as the Galician Centre of Havana, constructed to serve as a social center for Galician immigrants to Havana.
Specifically, we work with the Juan Manuel Márquez, Wiliam Soler, and Centro Habana pediatric hospitals, while in Cienfuegos, with the Paquito González hospital, and in Santiago de Cuba with the Norte and Sur hospitals,” explained the epidemiologist.
Havana (/ h ə ˈ v æ n ə /; Spanish: La Habana [la aˈβana] ( listen)) is the capital city, largest city, province, major port, and leading commercial center of Cuba. The city has a population of 2.1 million inhabitants, and it spans a total of 781.58 km 3 (187.51 cu mi) – making it the largest city by area, the most populous city, and the fourth largest metropolitan area in the Caribbean region.
The Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula is an example of pre-Churrigueresque Baroque style and is quite similar to the Iglesia de San Francisco de Asís, with a ground plan that also took the shape of a Latin cross. Its façade, with a central arch and columns to the sides is typical of Spanish architecture.
La Iglesia del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús, también conocida como Iglesia de Reina, es un magnífico templo católico de estilo gótico, que se encuentra localizado en el municipio de Centro Habana, en La Habana. Fue construida entre 1914 y 1923. Esta es actualmente la iglesia más alta de toda Cuba y también una de las más hermosas.
Located on Loma del Angel, or Angel Hill, the church was originally built in the second half of the 17th century and expanded with two lateral naves in the mid-18th century. After having been largely destroyed in 1844 due to a hurricane, the church was rebuilt from 1866 to 1871 in the beautiful Gothic Revival […]
Cuba #806, e/ Merced y Paula (Leonor Pérez), Habana Vieja Built between 1865 and 1867, this is arguably one of Havana’s most lush churches. The temple stands opposite a small square and its façade, constructed in Baroque style, features the principal door with its round arch and central niche.
The José Martí Memorial (Spanish: Monumento a José Martí) is a memorial to José Martí, a national hero of Cuba, located on the northern side of the Plaza de la Revolución in the Vedado area of Havana. It consists of a star-shaped tower, a statue of Martí surrounded by six columns, and gardens. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world.
Centro Habana is a city found in La Habana, Cuba. It is located 23.14 latitude and -82.36 longitude and it is situated at elevation 19 meters above sea level. Centro Habana has a population of 158,151 making it the 8th biggest city in La Habana. It operates on the CDT time zone, which means that it follows the same time zone as Havana.
Morro Castle (Spanish: Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro), named after the three biblical Magi, is a fortress guarding the entrance to Havana bay in Havana, Cuba. The design was drawn up by the Italian engineer Battista Antonelli; originally under the control of Spain, the fortress was captured by the British in 1762, and was returned to the Spanish under treaty terms a year later.
Habana Vieja; Centro Habana; ... It is today the Museo de Arte Colonial with a wide collection of colonial art, ... Habana Vieja (frente al Museo de la Revolucion)
The National Museum of Fine Arts of Havana (Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes de La Habana) in Havana, Cuba is a museum of Fine Arts that exhibits Cuban art collections from the colonial times up to contemporary generations.
This museum opened in 1964 and is housed in the house of José Gómez Mena, a mansion designed by the French architects P. Virad and M. Destugué in 1927. Gómez’s sister, María Luisa Gómez Mena, a wealthy patron of Cuban artists, was a vital figure in the Havana of her time.
The old pharmacy was founded in 1886 by Catalan José Sarrá, and was therefore popularly known as Farmacia Sarrá. This is one of the few cases in which Art Nouveau is more visible in the interior than in the exterior of an inexpressive academicism.
Created by, and housed in the headquarters of, the Asociación Cultural Yoruba de Cuba, this museum is dedicated to santería and features sculptures representing the different Afro-Cuban orishas (saint-gods) and is the first of its kind in the world.
Revolution Museum © Steve Statues ©Bit Boy This monumental construction in Centro Habana houses one of the most interesting museums in all Cuba and is a must-visit place, specially for those ones interested in the history of Cuba.
Napoleon Princess Alix de Foresta, widow of Luis Marie Bonaparte, a descendent of King Jerome, Bonaparte’s younger brother, was especially invited to the island for the opening. The museum was founded in 1961, occupying a 1929 Florentine Renaissance style mansion "La Dolce Dimora", the home of an Italian-Cuban politician, Orestes Ferrara.
Our Lady of Kazan Orthodox Cathedral, Centro Habana, Cuba. 88 likes · 337 were here. The Our Lady of Kazan Orthodox Cathedral , is a Russian Orthodox...
Obra destacada de uno de los más importantes arquitectos de la segunda mitad del siglo XIX, Manuel José Carrerá, fue concebida para albergar 2 mansiones que desde el exterior se expresan como un solo edificio, en el que residirían el español Domingo Aldama y su yerno, Domingo del Monte, quien fue un promotor cultural importante en la época y figura imprescindible de la cultura cubana.
Considered the most important example of baroque architecture in the city, this grand building on the west side of the plaza was built in 1792, on the sight of the former parish church, as the imposing Palacio de los Capitanes Generales (Governor’s Palace).
Monumento a los Estudiantes de Medicina, Centro Habana - En la avenida de Los ... hoy en dia llamado Palacio de los Matrimonios, es el lugar favorito de los ...
In recent decades it has served as the home of the Instituto Cubano del Libro (a state-run institution that promotes literature), but since 2012 has been closed for a lengthy restoration. It is slated to reopen as an avant-garde cultural center.
Leafy Parque de la Fraternidad was established in 1892 to commemorate the fourth centenary of the Spanish landing in the Americas. A few decades later it was remodeled and renamed to mark the 1927 Pan-American Conference.
Prado from Neptuno to Avenida del Puerto, Habana Vieja Also included in For Kids section In colonial times, this promenade received several names, including Nuevo Prado, Alameda de Extramuros, Paseo de Isabel II and Paseo del Prado, and with cuba’s independecne, it became Paseo de Martí. However, people keep calling it simply “El Prado.”
The early city was formally founded in 1519 on the northeast side of what would soon be laid out as Plaza de la Iglesia—named for the simple church that stood here until 1741, when it was destroyed following the explosion of the HMS Invicible in the harbor (the mast landed on the church).
Right across Havana harbor, Plaza de San Francisco is one of the first three built in the 16th century. It takes its name from the Franciscan convent built there. The plaza became the site of a market that was moved to Plaza Vieja after complaints from the monks because of the noise.
The 16th-century Plaza Vieja has always been a residential rather than a military, religious or administrative space, and is surrounded by elegant colonial residences, combined with a few very striking early 20th-century art nouveau buildings.
Spreading over 4.8 hectares (about 12 acres), the Quinta de los Molinos adjoins three of the capital’s municipalities: Centro Habana, Cerro and Plaza de la Revolución.
Apt in San Lázaro and Boardwalk (near the Prado). He is sold with the following items: telephone, kitchen and washing machine. It is on the first floor, balcony to the street, living room, kitchen, water 24 hours, gas from the calle.