The Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge over the Cooper River in South Carolina, USA, connecting downtown Charleston to Mount Pleasant. The eight lane bridge satisfied the capacity of U.S. Route 17 when it opened in 2005 to replace two obsolete cantilever truss bridges.
Boone Hall Plantation was founded in 1681 when Englishman Major John Boone came to Charleston and established a lucrative plantation and gracious home on the banks of Wampacheone Creek. The family and descendants of Major Boone were influential in the history of South Carolina, the colonies and the nation.
The house was then purchased by a Charleston native who spent 25 years and $5,000,000 restoring it. Now, the grand edifice that Mr. Williams first created has been reborn. The Calhoun Mansion, the largest single family residence in Charleston, has been brought back to the standard Williams first created.
Charles Towne Landing State Historic Site sits on a marshy point, located off the Ashley River, where a group of English settlers landed in 1670 and established what would become the birthplace of the Carolina colony. Charles Towne Landing introduces visitors to the earliest colonial history of Charleston.
Charleston Harbor was also the site of the first successful submarine attack in history on February 17, 1864, when the H.L. Hunley made a daring night attack on the USS Housatonic, during the American Civil War. The 12-foot natural depth of the harbor was a major reason for the establishment and growth of Charleston.
The Charleston Historic District, alternatively known as Charleston Old and Historic District, is a National Historic Landmark District in Charleston, South Carolina. The district, which covers most of the historic peninsular heart of the city, contains an unparalleled collection of 18th and 19th-century architecture, including a large number of distinctive Charleston "single houses".
Founded in 1773, The Charleston Museum, America's First Museum, has been discovering, preserving, interpreting, celebrating, and sharing ever since. Our collections, exhibitions, educational programs, and events are designed to inspire curiosity and conversation - about the South Carolina Lowcountry - and the stories that make us who we are.
The French Quarter may be the most romantic of Charleston's districts, and is perfect for leisurely walks, exploring historic sites, and immersing yourself in centuries of city history. See & Do Located on the corner of French Quarter Queen and Church streets, The Doc Street Theatre has a rich Charleston history spanning four centuries.
Founded in 1738, Drayton Hall is the nation’s earliest example of fully executed Palladian architecture and the oldest preserved plantation house in America still open to the public. Because of our preservation philosophy, all imperfections and changes over time have survived to the present.
Of Charleston's many fine house museums, only the Edmondston-Alston House (constructed in 1825 and enhanced in 1838) commands a magnificent view of Charleston Harbor. From its piazza, General P. T. Beauregard watched the fierce bombardment of Ft. Sumter on April 12, 1861, signaling the start of the Civil War.
Built in 1771 as a commercial exchange and custom house, the Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon has been a Charleston landmark for nearly 250 years. Today, it is a non-profit historic site that focuses on the American Revolution and colonial Charleston.
On the west end of the island, situated between the Atlantic Ocean and the Folly River, beachgoers will find Folly Beach County Park. Lifeguards are on duty seasonally along a beautiful beachfront designated swimming area. Skimmer Flats, a major Eastern Brown Pelican rookery, is visible at the west end of the park.
Folly Beach Pier Fishing, walking, birding, and the opportunity to enjoy breathtaking views of the "Edge of America" are just some of the possibilities at the Edwin S. Taylor Folly Beach Fishing Pier, where you can find some of the best saltwater fishing in the area.
Fort Moultrie is a series of fortifications on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina, built to protect the city of Charleston, South Carolina. The first fort, formerly named Fort Sullivan, built of palmetto logs, inspired the flag and nickname of South Carolina, as "The Palmetto State".
Fort Sumter is a sea fort in Charleston, South Carolina, notable for two battles of the American Civil War. It was one of a number of special forts planned after the War of 1812, combining high walls and heavy masonry, and classified as Third System, as a grade of structural integrity.
Heyward-Washington House. Built in 1772, this Georgian-style double house was the town home of Thomas Heyward, Jr., one of four South Carolina signers of the Declaration of Independence. The property features the only 1740s kitchen building open to the public in Charleston as well as formal gardens featuring plants commonly used in the South Carolina Lowcountry in the late 18th century.
Park Amenities As our Campground guest, we invite you to enjoy the natural beauty of James Island County Park, with year-round enjoyment for the entire family. Just a short drive from downtown Charleston, the 643-acre park offers an abundance of exceptional recreation offerings and natural beauty.
Johns Island is bordered by the Wadmalaw, Seabrook, Kiawah, Edisto, Folly, and James islands; the Stono and Kiawah rivers separate Johns Island from its border islands. It is the fourth-largest island on the US east coast, surpassed only by Long Island, Mount Desert Island and Martha's Vineyard.
Charleston's Most Visited Plantation. Welcome to Magnolia Plantation and Gardens. Magnolia has been selected as one of "America's Most Beautiful Gardens" (Travel + Leisure Magazine), and is the only garden honored with this distinction in the State of South Carolina!
Established in 1851, McLeod Plantation has borne witness to some of the most significant periods of Charleston’s - and our nations - history. Today McLeod Plantation is an important 37-acre Gullah/Geechee heritage site that has been carefully preserved in recognition of its cultural and historical significance.
For a more thrilling look at Morris Island, try Thriller Charleston (843) 276-4203, 1313 Shrimp Boat Lane, Mount Pleasant. This 55-foot power catamaran rides the waves on the lighthouse side of Morris Island as part of its 30-mile, one-hour tour. It is not for the faint of heart (literally and figuratively) or for young children or pregnant women.
Morris Island Light is a lighthouse on Morris Island in South Carolina. The light stands on the southern side of the entrance to Charleston Harbor, north of the City of Folly Beach. The lighthouse was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
The History of the Nathaniel Russell House. A National Historic Landmark, the Nathaniel Russell House Museum was built over a five-year period and completed in 1808 by Charleston merchant Nathaniel Russell. The house cost $80,000 to build, at a time when the average value of a home was $262.
The National Park Service invites you to travel Charleston, South Carolina to discover places and stories of resilience and freedom. The historic city is located on a narrow peninsula where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers meet and flow into the Atlantic Ocean.
Palmetto Islands County Park Mount Pleasant Palmetto Islands County Park is a nature-oriented, 943-acre park designed for family and group use. The park is built in a tropical setting, with bicycle paths, boardwalks, and picnic sites with grills located throughout the park for your enjoyment.
The Powder Magazine, South Carolina’s Oldest Public Building Photograph courtesy of the Powder Magazine Museum A National Historic Landmark, The Powder Magazine (c.1713), is the oldest public building in South Carolina, and reflects the city's early, sometimes volatile, history.
Rainbow Row is the name for a series of thirteen colorful historic houses in Charleston, South Carolina. It represents the longest cluster of Georgian row houses in the United States. The houses are located north of Tradd St. and south of Elliott St. on East Bay Street, that is, 79 to 107 East Bay Street.
As its name suggests, South of Broad is located south of Broad Street, at the southernmost tip of the peninsula. Bordered by the Cooper and Ashley Rivers, this primarily residential area offers spectacular views of the Charleston harbor, where the two rivers meet the Atlantic Ocean.
Join us as we gather together in the Chapel on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 pm to go deeper in our walk with the Lord. After a short worship time, you will hear a teaching from our very own Edwin Smythe, with time left over to discuss and examine what you’ve heard.
The Battery is a landmark defensive seawall and promenade in Charleston, South Carolina. Named for a civil-war coastal defense artillery battery at the site, it stretches along the lower shores of the Charleston peninsula, bordered by the Ashley and Cooper Rivers, which meet here to form Charleston harbor.
Waterfront Park is a eight-acre (5 ha) park along approximately one-half mile of the Cooper River in Charleston, South Carolina. The park received the 2007 Landmark Award from the American Society of Landscape Architects and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
White Point Garden is located in the heart of the historic district downtown. This park provides beautiful views of Fort Sumter and of the Charleston Harbor. The park features lots of grass space, shaded by beautiful old oak trees.
Whether it's choosing from a variety of accommodations including the Four Diamond rated Boardwalk Inn, The Village, family-friendly vacation rentals, condominiums and cottages, or deciding whether to fill your days with award-winning golf, tennis, a visit to historic downtown Charleston or one of dozens of other activities, here you'll find yourself in a better place.