The A2 coastal route shown in red from Derry to Newry. The A2 is a major road in Northern Ireland, a considerable length of which is often referred to the Antrim Coast Road because much of it follows the scenic coastline of County Antrim; other parts of the road follow the coasts in Counties Down and Londonderry.
A bastion or bulwark is a structure projecting outward from the curtain wall of a fortification, most commonly angular in shape and positioned at the corners. The fully developed bastion consists of two faces and two flanks with fire from the flanks being able to protect the curtain wall and also the adjacent bastions.
Willie Doherty, a Derry-born artist, has amassed a large body of work which addresses the troubles in Northern Ireland. "30 January 1972" deals specifically with the events of Bloody Sunday. In mid-2005, the play Bloody Sunday: Scenes from the Saville Inquiry, a dramatisation based on the Saville Inquiry, opened in London, and subsequently travelled to Derry and Dublin.
Brunswick Moviebowl is the foremost entertainment complex in the North West of Ireland. Featuring a 7 Screen Cinema, 16 Ten-Pin bowling lanes and much more! Brunswick Moviebowl is the foremost entertainment complex in the North West of Ireland.
Monument Type: City Walls Butcher Gate was one of the four original city gates, but the structure you see here today was rebuilt in 1810. It is constructed from a mixture of buff and red ashlar sandstone and has a single elliptical-arched opening over which the walkway is humped.
The best example of this adaptation is the insertion of three additional gates – Castle Gate, New Gate and Magazine Gate – into the walls in the course of the 19th century. Today, the fortifications form a continuous promenade around the city centre, complete with cannon, avenues of mature trees and views across Derry.
This Cathedral is the mother church of the Church of Ireland in the Anglican Diocese of Derry and is the parish church of Templemore. St. Columb’s Cathedral was the first Protestant Cathedral built in both Britain and Ireland after the Protestant Reformation.
Craigavon Bridge is one of three bridges to be built in the area. The first bridge over the River Foyle was a wooden one built in 1790. It was assembled in America and transported to Derry to be positioned in the Bridge Street area about 90 metres north of the present bridge.
Double Bastion occupies the south-west corner of the layout of the walls and, following removal of surrounding 19th-century housing in Nailor’s Row, is one of the most prominent parts of the monument and the site of one of the best known cannon known as ‘Roaring Meg’.
Monument Type: City Walls. Ferryquay Gate is located on the site of one of the four original gates. The gate originally had a drawbridge and tower; this was replaced by the present day gate in 1866. It probably led down to the ferry and later, to the first city bridge.
Free Derry Corner, formerly the gable end of 33 Lecky Rd. The original hand painted slogan. (Courtesy Jim Davies) Free Derry Corner has always been at the heart of the Bogside and at the heart of the Troubles. (Courtesy Barney McMonagle) The back of the [wall] is used for political issues...(Courtesy Jim Collins)...and social and cultural events.
Heritage Tower. One of the smallest of the museums and galleries in Northern Ireland, it was built during the 19th century. The Heritage Tower was once the prison home to famous Irish leaders, Wolfe Tone and De Valera. The Tower is located in the Fountain area of the city.
The Museum of Free Derry opened in 2007 in order to tell the story of what happened in the city during the period 1968 – 1972, popularly known as ‘Free Derry’, and including the civil rights era, Battle of the Bogside, Internment, Bloody Sunday and Operation Motorman.
derry Peace Bridge inspiration The Derry Peace Bridge over the River Foyle bridges a 400 year old physical and political gap between two sides of a once, bitterly divided community. Designed by Wilkinson Eyre Architects in London and funded to the tune of £14 million by the European Regional Development Fund for Peace it is a very impressive and elegant piece of architecture.
The 12 murals that decorate the gable ends of houses along Rossville St, near Free Derry Corner, are popularly referred to as the People's Gallery. They are the work of 'the Bogside Artists' (Kevin Hasson, Tom Kelly, and Will Kelly, who passed away in 2017).
Shipquay Gate This is one of the original four city gates with the present archway dating from 1805. The interior face of the gate has on each side a circular frame - on the left hand side is a cornucopia and on the right hand side is a caduceus. On the exterior face there are similar frames without ornaments.
Welcome to St Columb's Park House At the end of the peace bridge, nestled in a beautiful historic park, lies one of the best kept secrets in the City, St Columb’s Park House. We believe that a better world is possible and that everyday people and everyday activism is the key to achieving this.
Áras Cholmcille The St.Columba Heritage Centre Digital Book of Kells animation shorts: "In the beginning"; "Book to battle"; and "Monks and monsters". This material is courtesy of The Nerve Centre and was developed as part of the Return of Colmcille Festival.