"1000 years of Gdańsk in the light of excavation works" presents 1000 year old history of the city of Gdańsk based on excavation works. "The secrets of the Nile Valley. Sudan. Archaeology and Ethnography" is an exhibition presenting the results of long-term archaeologic survey conducted in the Nile Valley, Sudan.
The Artus Court, formerly also Junkerhof, is a building in the centre of Gdańsk, Poland, at Długi Targ 44, which used to be the meeting place of merchants and a centre of social life. Today it is a point of interest of numerous visitors and a branch of the Gdańsk History Museum.
Gdansk is one of the oldest Baltic cities with a thousand year old traditions of European culture and maritime history. Gdansk owes its fortune to its seaside location. Ships from all parts of Europe are greeted by the historical port of Gdansk. The trade routes from the east to the west and from the north to the south of Europe crossed here.
Ergo Arena (Hala Gdańsk-Sopot) is a multi-purpose indoor arena, that was opened in 2010. The boundary between two cities – Sopot and Gdańsk – runs through the very middle of the hall. The arena has a capacity of 11,409 people, for sports events and up to 15,000, with standing places, for concerts.
The building is centred around a permanent exhibition dedicated to the history of Solidarity and the opposition, which led to the democratic transformation of the countries of Central and Eastern Europe. But the exhibition forms just a part of the European Solidarity Centre’s daily function.
The Golden Gate (Polish: Złota Brama; German: Langgasser Tor) in Gdańsk (former German name: Danzig), Poland, is one of the most notable tourist attractions of the city. It was created in 1612–14 in place of a 13th-century gothic gate, the Brama Długouliczna (Long Street Gate).
The 1618 Golden House, designed by Johan Voigt, has the richest façade in the city. In the friezes between storeys are 12 elaborately carved scenes interspersed with busts of famous historical figures, including two Polish kings. The four statues waving to you from the balustrade at the top are Cleopatra, Oedipus, Achilles and Antigone.
The gate leads to the Green Bridge, which spans the Motława River and which used to be raised to stop the riff-raff from getting into the Old Town. Following a careful renovation the gate now bears an uncanny resemblance to Amsterdam's central train station, and hosts an art gallery and the Gdansk Photo Gallery.
The gate is ornamented with coats of arms: the symbol of Poland, to which the coats of arms of Gdansk and Prussia are bowing, on the side of Mołtawa, and on the side of Mariacka Street – the coat of arms of Gdansk carried by lions. In the Medieval times Mariacka was home to cobbler’s workshops and butchers’ stands.
The Monument to the fallen Shipyard Workers 1970 (Polish: Pomnik Poległych Stoczniowców 1970) was unveiled on 16 December 1980 near the entrance to what was then the Lenin Shipyard in Gdańsk, Poland. It commemorates the 42 or more people killed during the Coastal cities events in December 1970.
Gdansk – Stare Miasto (Old Town) When visiting Gdansk, you may feel that you are carried back to the Middle Ages, and even though substantial parts of the town consist of reconstructions from after WWII, you will still find plenty of authentic, genuine old buildings.
Cathedral. The archcathedral in Oliwa is a three-nave basilica with a transept and a multisided closed presbytery, finished with an ambulatory. The façade is flanked by two slender towers, 46-metres tall each with sharply-edged helmets. It is enlivened by a Baroque portal from 1688, as well as three windows of different sizes and three cartouches.
St. Bridget's Church was built in the mid-1300s, initially as St. Magdalene’s Chapel, on the location of the legendary appearance of the Holiest Virgin. In 1374, the funeral procession carrying the remains of the founder of the Holiest Saviour Convent, Bridget of Sweden, which was travelling from Rome to Vadstena in Sweden, made a stop in Gda?sk.
The exact origins of Oliwa's delightful 10-hectare park are lost to time, but what is known is that Oliwa's last Cistercian abbot, Jacek Rybiński (1701-1782) had the gardener Kazimierz Dębiński originate the beginnings of its contemporary appearance by designing a French Rococo part of the garden ...
Sopot's economy and reputation took off and soon the 'Riviera of the North' had everything from fine villas to tennis courts, and by 1927, a casino and Grand Hotel. A number of extensions had been made to the Pier by that time, but during that year Sopot pulled out all the stops, went big, and elongated the Pier to its present length of 516 meters making it the longest wooden pier in Europe.
Gdansk's picturesque Westerplatte peninsula has the unhappy distinction of being the site of the official start of the Second World War. A small forested island separated from Gdansk by the harbour channel, Westerplatte was established as a Polish military outpost during the interwar period, equipped with one 75mm field gun, two 37mm antitank ...