Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park is a new area of woodland located on the edge of Billingham. The site was reclaimed from former brickworks, landfill and ex-agricultural land. Although still in the early stages of growth, rapid development has led to the site's large variety of habitats.
Greatham Beck Local Nature Reserve. One of Hartlepool’s best-kept secrets is the lovely, one hectare wildlife corridor that runs along the western edge of the Fens Estate. Rich in plant-life and fringed with deciduous woodland, it provides a rich and varied habitat for many species including kingfisher, water vole, woodpecker and owl.
The Heugh lighthouse is a navigation light on The Headland in Hartlepool, in north-east England. The current lighthouse dates from 1927; it is owned and operated by PD Ports. It is claimed that its early-Victorian predecessor was the first lighthouse in the world reliably lit by gas.
Now listed as part of the National Historic Fleet, following her recent restoration Trincomalee has become the centrepiece of the National Museum of the Royal Navy based in Hartlepool. Trincomalee holds the distinction of being the oldest British warship still afloat as HMS Victory, although 52 years her senior, is in dry dock.
The PS Wingfield Castle is a former Humber Estuary ferry, now preserved as a museum ship in Hartlepool, County Durham, England. The Wingfield Castle was built by William Gray & Company at Hartlepool, and launched in 1934, along with a sister ship, the Tattershall Castle.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within Reviews are those of the author and not the views or opinions of Yell Limited. Registered Office: 3 Forbury Place, Forbury Road, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 3YL. Registered in England and Wales No. 4205228 VAT Number: GB 765 346 017. © Yell Limited 2018. All rights reserved.
Seaton Tower, Hartlepool Marina In 1884 a new lighthouse was built on the breakwater at the newly constructed South Gare on the south bank at the mouth of the River Tees. Both light systems were used until 1892 when use of the light towers at Seaton Carew and Hartlepool was discontinued by the Tees Conservancy Commissioners.
South Gare is an area of reclaimed land and breakwater on the southern side of the mouth of the River Tees in Redcar and Cleveland, England. It is accessed by taking the South Gare Road (private road) from Fisherman's Crossing at the western end of Tod Point Road in Warrenby.
Steetley Magnesite, also known as Hartlepool Magnesia Works and Palliser Works, was located at Hartlepool Headland. Originally known as The Steetley Lime and Building Stone Company and was named after the small hamlet of Steetley which is located near Worksop, in Nottinghamshire.