The bridge that had been built in 1932 as a bridge only for streetcars was extended in 1934 from its central section to Jisenji-no-hana (now the north end of Peace Memorial Park) and thus received its unique T-shape that was a rare sight in Japan. Besides, in the very south of the bridge there were two wooden bridges on the east and west that had been built in 1878 and in the short period until they were taken down, Aioi Bridge formed an H-shape and created a special scenery.
The Assumption of Mary Cathedral (Japanese: 被昇天の聖母司教座聖堂) also called Memorial Cathedral of World Peace (世界平和記念聖堂) is the name given to a religious building that is affiliated with the Catholic Church, which is located in the city of Hiroshima in the Asian country of Japan.
The Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park is visited by thousands of people each year. The park is there in memory of the victims of the nuclear attack on August 6, 1945. On August 6,1945 the US dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima Japan. The Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park was planned and designed by the Japanese Architect Kenzō Tange at Tange Lab.
The Children's Peace Monument is a monument for peace to commemorate Sadako Sasaki and the thousands of child victims of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. This monument is located in Hiroshima, Japan. Sadako Sasaki, a young girl, died of leukemia from radiation of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima on 6 August 1945.
The park has only 150 cherry trees, but includes one that is very rare in Japan, discovered in 1944 and named the Hiroshima Ebayama-zakura. Ushita Sogo Koen Park. This hillside park, just under 3km from Hiroshima Station and the city center, is best known locally for its rose garden which blooms in late spring and in autumn, but it is also covered in large cherry tress that are laden with beautiful blossoms during sakura season.
This glass museum has a great selection of glass on show, from precious ancient glass to everyday glass used during the Edo, Meiji, Taisho and Showa periods. The Modern World Glass Art Museum exhibits artworks by glass-craft artists from around the world.
Hiroshima Castle (広島城, Hiroshima-jō), sometimes called Carp Castle (鯉城, Rijō), was a castle in Hiroshima, Japan that was the home of the daimyō (feudal lord) of the Hiroshima han (fief). The castle was constructed in the 1590s, but was destroyed by the atomic bombing on August 6, 1945.
The Children’s Museum is located in the center of Hiroshima city, next to the Green Arena convention center and the Family pool- a short walk from A-bomb Dome (Genbaku-dome-mae) tram or bus stop (heading north away from the Peace Park). There is a old-fashioned train next to the museum children can climb on, on the other side of the museum is the Family pool (open July-August) and in front of it there is a large concrete courtyard popular with skateboarders and BMX trick riders.
Modern Art Revisited: from the collection of Fukuoka Art Museum. Opened in 1979, the Fukuoka Art Museum is a major institution known for its extensive collection of some 16,000 items, centering on two main pillars: modern and contemporary art, and antiques.
Hiroshima City Transportation Museum June 18, 2012 June 13, 2017 jjwalsh 2706 Views 0 Comment Asa-minami-ku, Family-friendly, kids, museum, transportation Located in Asa-minami ku, a short walk from the Chorakuji Astram Line Station is Hiroshima’s City Transportation Museum.
Peace Memorial Halls for the Atomic Bomb Victims were built pursuant to the law for the medical care of atomic bomb survivors in both Nagasaki and Hiroshima Cities by the national government in order to impress upon people the ultimate sacrifice made by the deceased A-bomb victims and to wish for everlasting peace.
The Hiroshima Peace Memorial (広島平和記念碑, Hiroshima Heiwa Kinenhi), originally the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall, and now commonly called the Genbaku Dome, Atomic Bomb Dome or A-Bomb Dome (原爆ドーム, Genbaku Dōmu), is part of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima, Japan and was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996.
The museum continues to spearhead the global movement towards nuclear disarmament and a lasting world peace. The museum is divided into the East Building and the Main Building. In the museum, the history of Hiroshima before and after the bombing is exhibited with pictures, movies and displays.
Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park (広島平和記念公園, Hiroshima Heiwa Kinen Kōen) is a memorial park in the center of Hiroshima, Japan. It is dedicated to the legacy of Hiroshima as the first city in the world to suffer a nuclear attack, and to the memories of the bomb's direct and indirect victims (of whom there may have been as many as 140,000).
A Tōshō-gū (東照宮) is any Shinto shrine in which Tokugawa Ieyasu, founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate which lasted from 1603-1868, is enshrined. The most famous is the oppulent Nikkō Tōshō-gū in Tochigi Prefecture where Ieyasu is entombed, but Tōshō-gū shrines are found throughout Japan.
Itsukushima Shrine The Floating Shrine on the Sea. The shrine has more than 1400 years of history, and is a registered World Heritage Site. The vermillion lacquered shrine, located at the beautiful Itsukushima, fits well with the Prussian blue sea, and the green of the virgin forest, recreating the elegance of the Heian era.
Kure is a small port city located only a 30-minute car ride from Hiroshima, and it makes for a great day trip. One of Kure's better attractions (and there are many) is this park. It is proving to be a popular draw with its spaciousness and range of activities.
Nagoya's aquarium at the Port of Nagoya is one of Japan's larger and better aquariums. Housed in two separate buildings, it displays various marine mammals including dolphins, orca and beluga whales, as well as other marine creatures from the five aquatic regions between Japan and the Antarctic Ocean.
Megahira Onsen Megahira is less than 2km from the Yoshiwa IC exit on the Chugoku Expressway. From the Yoshiwa IC exit turn right and then quickly right once again to head towards the centre of Yoshiwa. The ski hill is just off Prefecture Road 296 to the north of the town area.
It’s one of Hiroshima’s hidden gems, particularly beautiful in autumn, but a place to which one can return time after time whenever in need of a bit of peace and quiet in beautiful surroundings. The Shingon Buddhist temple dates back to 809, and is located in a steep, heavily forested valley on the side of Mt Mitaki-yama and takes its name from the three waterfalls within its grounds.
Momijidani Park Maple park. Is a park stretching along Momijidani river near the valley at the foot of mount Misen. It was cultivated during the Edo period when maple saplings trees were planted. This was the beginning of Momijidani Park.
The museum opened on April 23, 2005. It is nicknamed the Yamato Museum due to the display in the lobby of the large model ship, Yamato, a 1/10 scale model of the battleship, Yamato. The Yamato was the flagship of the Japanese Combined Fleet in World War II. It was sunk south of the Japanese island of Kyushu in 1945.