The church of Agia Ekaterini (Saint Catherine) of Sinaites in Heraklion: The church of Agia Ekaterini (Saint Catherine) of Sinaites is located close to the Cathedral of Saint Minas, in the heart of Heraklion town, and has given its name to the square of Saint Catherine.
Overlooking the eponymous square, Church of Saint Titus is dedicated to the island's first bishop, whose skull was once kept in the temple. Originally built as an Orthodox church by a 10th-century Byzantine emperor who liberated the island from the Arabs, the church was turned first into a Catholic temple by the Venetians and then into a mosque by the Ottomans.
The fortifications of Heraklion are a series of defensive walls and other fortifications which surround the city of Heraklion (formerly Candia) in Crete, Greece. The first city walls were built in the Middle Ages, but they were completely rebuilt by the Republic of Venice.
Plus, if you are lucky, you might find yourself in one of the cultural events and festivals that often take place in the park, especially during the summer. The park that was “saved” by the citizens! If you were in Heraklion a few years ago, Georgiadis Park was simply a "green passage" near the center for the locals. And then something changed.
Find A Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com: accessed ), memorial page for Nikos Kazantzakis (18 Feb 1883–26 Oct 1957), Find A Grave Memorial no. 13175203, citing Martinego Bastion, Heraklion, Regional unit of Heraklion, Crete, Greece ; Maintained by Find A Grave .
The Heraklion Archaeological Museum is regarded as one of Europe''s most important museums. The present building was constructed between 1933 and 1937 to plans by P. Karantinos, on the site of the imposing Venetian Franciscan friary destroyed by an earthquake in 1856.
The Bay of Karteros is located at the exit of the homonym Gorge Karteros, 7km east of Heraklion and extends to the east for 3.5km. It is named after the Byzantine General, Krateros, who in 824AC landed on the beach with his ships in order to liberate Crete from the Saracens, but was defeated.
The fortress has been restored, and it is now open to the public. Art exhibitions and cultural activities are occasionally held at the fort. The fortress is made up of two parts: a high rectangular section, and a slightly lower semi-elliptical section. Its walls are up to 8.7m thick at some places, and it has three entrances.
The Lions square in Heraklion is the square of the Morosini fountain, the ornate Venetian fountain with four lions with water gushing from their mouths. The Morosini fountain with the lions is one of the most important monuments the Venetians bestowed on Heraklion.
Herakleion Archaeological Museum The Herakleion Archaeological Museum is a Special Regional Service of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture - General Directorate of Antiquities. Its purpose is to acquire, protect, conserve, record, study, publish, display and promote Cretan artefacts from the Prehistoric to the Late Roman periods.
The Natural History Museum (University of Crete) has recently released the long-awaited book on the nature of Crete, entitled "Crete, a continent in an island" translated by Ben Petre. This publication is an essay by Dimos Tsantilis, a writer and communicator of science, in cooperation with scientists working at the museum, containing more than 350 color photographs (and drawings).
The Nikos Kazantzakis Museum pays tribute to the important intellectual, author, thinker, philosopher, politician and traveller Nikos Kazantzakis. The Museum is made up of a cluster of buildings in the central square of the historical village of Varvari, now known as Myrtia.
Knossos flourished for approximately two thousand years. It had large palace buildings, extensive workshop installations and luxurious rock-cut cave and tholos tombs. As a major centre of trade and the economy, Knossos maintained ties with the majority of cities in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Kornarou Square was named after the great Cretan poet Vincenzos Kornaros, a poet from Sitia who grew up in Chandax (Heraklion). Vincenzos Kornaros (1552-1613) is one of the main representatives of the Cretan Renaissance and his best-known work is "Erotokritos".
The Venetians built a series of small shipyards (dockyards) (known in Greek as ‘tarsanades’ or more commonly the ‘Neoria’) in the south and eastern section of the port land zone, for the protection and accommodation of various activities related to the operation of the Venetian port.
The Venetian Loggia in Heraklion The Loggia is also in the centre of Heraklion, on 25th of August Street, a few yards downhill from the Basilica of St Mark and the Lions. The elegant building of the Loggia is one of the finest monuments of Venetian Crete.