Heggie Field is one of the largest parks on Joliet’s East Side, and board President Glen Marcum pointed to it as an example of park district spending in that part of town. Marcum made his comments after one speaker at the Monday meeting questioned park district spending on the East Side.
The preserve is the District's largest individual preserve, and the majority of the land was acquired for a regional stormwater reservoir which was never constructed. LaPorte Road Access is one of three access areas to the preserve. The other access areas are Hickory Creek Barrens in New Lenox and Hickory Creek Junction in Mokena.
Hickory Creek Barrens Nature Preserve protects a diversity of habitats, including forest, prairie, savanna, wetland and a portion of Hickory Creek. Wildlife found at the preserve includes more than 50 bird species, such as the pileated woodpecker, yellow-rumped warbler, brown creeper and hermit thrush.
Isle a la Cache features the Isle a la Cache Museum, which offers historical education opportunities for families, school groups and youth groups. The Isle a la Cache Museum is open to the public free of charge. It also offers picnic, camping and dog park permits for purchase.
The Joliet Area Historical Museum occupies the space formerly known as the Ottawa Street Methodist Church at the intersection of Cass and Ottawa Streets in downtown Joliet. Since its opening in the fall of 2002, the museum's main exhibition gallery serves as an introduction to the many stories of the Joliet area and its people.
The Joliet East Side Historic District is a set of 290 buildings in Joliet, Illinois.Of these 290 buildings, 281 contribute to the historical integrity of the area. Joliet was founded in 1831, deemed an ideal place for a settlement to reap the local natural resources.
The 52-acre Joliet Iron Works Historic Site was acquired between 1991 and 1997. The preserve is part of the Des Plaines River preservation system, which conserves more than 2,400 acres of land. Prior to the District's acquisition of the land, it was the site of an iron manufacturing facility from the late 1800s to the early 1900s.
Joliet's Route 66 Landmarks and Attractions What to see in Joliet US 66 in Joliet: historic context. In 1946 Jack DeVere Rittenhouse does not mention it in his 1946 "Guide Book to Highway 66" because he drove the "Main US 66" through Plainfield and Braidswood, bypassing it.
Tucked away at the southern tip of Hammel Woods, near the small dam across the DuPage River, is Grinton Grove, the site that William Grinton built a flour mill in 1845. The small settlement that arose around it was the origin of today’s Village of Shorewood.
The 54-acre O'Hara Woods Preserve was acquired between 2006 and 2008. The preserve is part of the Lily Cache Creek preservation system, which conserves approximately 1,000 acres. The preserve is adjacent to the Village of Romeoville's O'Hara Woods Nature Preserve.
Old Joliet Prison Park As a grant funded project by the Illinois Bureau of Tourism and the City of Joliet with special assistance from Councilwoman Susie Barber, The Old Joliet Prison Park is free public park located just outside the Collins Street Prison.
The 680-acre Prairie Bluff Preserve was acquired between 2006 and 2008. The preserve is part of the Des Plaines River preservation system, which conserves more than 2,400 acres. The 680-acre Prairie Bluff Preserve was acquired between 2006 and 2008.
The Route 66 Park has an eclectic collection of public art works that celebrate Joliet's rich and vibrant art culture. Don't miss the overlook for a birdseye view of the Collins Street Prison. There are informational kiosks that highlight Route 66 attractions throughout the park.
The preserve is part of the Sugar Creek preservation system, which conserves more than 320 acres. The 317-acre Sugar Creek Preserve was acquired between 1972 and 2011. The preserve is part of the Sugar Creek preservation system, which conserves more than 320 acres.
Preserve History. The 14-acre Teale Woods Preserve was acquired in 1994. The preserve is part of the Des Plaines River preservation system, which conserves more than 2,400 acres. The preserve was named after naturalist Edwin Way Teale, who was born in Joliet and was a champion of small "wild" areas in cities.
The Plainfield Park District has been selected to participate in this year's Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Catchable Trout Program. Trout stocking will occur at Van Horn Woods East 17200 S. Frontage Rd. Plainfield. Trout fishing may commence on Saturday, Oct. 19 at noon, when the gates are opened.
Phillip McCallister — 5 star For 35 years now, West Park has offered disc golfers from everywhere a challenging, but fair, test of their skill. If you have not discovered this sport then I recommend that you grab a few Frisbees and a friend or two and head over there.