The 1st Cavalry Division Museum at the intersection of 56th and 761st Tank Battalion Avenue in Building 2218 on Fort Hood. To get to the museum from Interstate 35, travel West on Expressway 190 towards Killeen. Once in Killeen, continue traveling on 190 exit Ft. Hood main gate.
Constructed to replace an earlier brick schoolhouse destroyed by fire, the present Avenue D School was built in 1923. C.J. Leinbach of Dallas designed the three-story building, which features decorative stonework and separate entrances for girls and boys.
Community park on 35 acres with picnic units, grills, basketball court, lighted walking/jogging trail, playground equipment, outdoor swimming pool, exercise stations, open play area, fishing pond, 40'x60' pavilion, gazebo, amphitheater and restroom facilities.
[Conder Park in Killeen], photograph, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth12822/: accessed June 3, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Killeen City Library System.
Dana Peak Campground is located on a peninsula on the shoreline of Stillhouse Hollow Lake in central Texas. The lake offers a wide variety of recreation opportunities, including water sports, hiking, biking, horseback riding, picnicking, large group pavilions, hunting, fishing and more.
Host your next family reunion, FRG get together, wedding, or birthday party. Harker Heights Community Park has something for everyone. Reservations for all park facilities are taken on a first-come, first-serve basis through the Recreation Center. You may download a facility rental form here.
The Luby's shooting, also known as the Luby's massacre, was a mass shooting that took place on October 16, 1991, at a Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas. The perpetrator, George Hennard, drove his Ford Ranger pickup truck through the front window of the restaurant. He quickly shot and killed 23 people, and wounded 27 others.
Stillhouse Hollow Lake is located entirely within Bell County. Our mission: Provide flood risk management, supply water and offer recreational opportunities to the Salado/Belton area, and to offer some of the best fishing, camping and boating in Central Texas.
In 1840 Joseph Dennis (1810-1894) and his wife Isa Seitze migrated from Arkansas to Milam County, Texas. When Bell County was organized in 1850, Dennis served as chairman of the committee that selected Nolan Springs, present Belton, as the county seat.