Bloomington East Park includes Cedar Ridge, Hickory/Walnut, and Oak Campgrounds, Ash and Elm Group Camps, and Bloomington Beach Picnic Shelters. The park is located just west of Clinton Lake, between the Rock Creek and Wakarusa River arms of the lake, and offers several different recreational options.
The Booth Family Hall of Athletics is a 19,335-square-foot museum adjacent to the east side of Allen Fieldhouse. This facility opened in January 2006 and was expanded in 2009. It is open year-round, allowing Jayhawk fans everywhere to experience the history and tradition of Kansas Athletics.
Broken Arrow Elementary and South Junior High schools border the park to the North. The City of Lawrence’s Parks and Recreation Department entered an agreement in 2002 with Douglas County to maintain the entire park, which includes mowing and other maintenance of the entire park and its facilities.
1200 Brook St. HISTORY Orginally a seven-acre park, an additional 43 acres of wooded area east of the park was purchased in 1996. DESCRIPTION OF PARK This seven-acre neighborhood park is a multi-use park. In addition to areas for picnics, Brook Creek flows through the park. A bridge was constructed to allow for travel across the creek.
Watson Park also is home to the Lawrence Outdoor Aquatic Center, which was renovated in 1995. In October 2003, a bronze bust was unveiled in honor of the park’s namesake, Buford M. Watson Jr. The artist was Tom Wilkerson, former assistant director of the Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department.
Campanile Bell Tower is predominantly involved in Tourist Attractions. Campanile Bell Tower operates in Lawrence Kansas 66045. This business organization is involved in Tourist Attractions as well as other possible related aspects and functions of Tourist Attractions.
Ownership of the property finally found its way to a corporation formed to acquire the land to set it aside for a park and to celebrate the City’s centennial in 1954. Lawrence school children raised the funds to purchase the land that was acquired for substantially less than its actual value.
People in and around Lawrence have been coming to Centennial Park for many years to take advantage of the natural scenery and spacious facilities. Whether they are playing with their children at the playground, getting in a round of disc golf, or simply taking a walk, these people are fortunate to have a park with a vast and storied history such as Centennial’s.
Lawrence, KS | Maps The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities.
The park located north of 15th St. and George Williams Way and east of Langston Hughes Elementary School, was the last official park DeVictor worked on developing over his storied career. In 1998, the City of Lawrence purchased more than 40 acres of land from Alvamar, Inc., for $505,000.
An additional seven acres were purchased in 1977 to create space for the East Lawrence Center, located on the north edge of the park. DESCRIPTION OF PARK Entered from Maple Lane, north of 19th Street, this 23-acre park has basketball courts, a ball field, play area, athletic field, and picnic grove with tables and grills.
But while the rock may go ignored among the hubbub of downtown traffic, it holds a significant -- and sometimes controversial -- place in Lawrence history. Geologists theorize the boulder was pushed very slowly south from the Dakotas by glaciers during the last ice age.
Haskell Cultural Center and museum celebrates the strength and resiliency of the students and their contribution to what today has grown to become Haskell Indian Nations University. Punctuating the re-emergence of Indigenous expression, Haskell strives to incorporate the elements of Tribal pride and self-determination into its academics and University spirit.
The Japanese Friendship Garden was built to honor the 10 year anniversary of Lawrence’s relationship with its sister city, Hiratsuka, Japan. In 1995, the City of Hiratsuka, presented a gift of $5,000 to the City of Lawrence in recognition of their five year anniversary as being sister cities.
Through a partnership with the Kansas Land Trust and city staff efforts, the City of Lawrence acquired nearly 100 acres of park area, which provides the citizens of Lawrence with a nature preserve. This was the first time the City of Lawrence collaborated with a conservation organization (Kansas Land Trust) to create a natural preserve prohibiting any future development on the property.
The Lawrence Rotary Arboretum was conceived in 2003 and dedicated in 2005 as a Rotary centennial project. Three, local rotary clubs, Lawrence Rotary Club, the Jayhawk Breakfast Rotary Club and the Central Rotary Club came to together for the centennial celebration of the of Rotary International with a donation for a waterfront gazebo.
One of the first community parks in North Lawrence, the Parks and Recreation Department purchased the five acres of Lyons Park $4,500 in 1962. The park was expanded in 1977 with the addition of five more acres that were purchased from Mr. Lawrence Allison for $27,500.
The Martins wanted Lawrence citizens to enjoy the peaceful scenery and the natural beauty that has been a part of the Martin family since the territorial days of Kansas. The donation of the 19-acres of land located on Peterson Road and East 1130 Township Rd came with an understanding that the land can only be used as a public park.
Mr. McGrew requested naming the park in honor of Pat Dawson-Billings, who was a teacher in the Lawrence School District from 1960-1975. Originally from Emporia, Dawson-Billings graduated of the University of Kansas, School of Education in 1960. Prior to graduation, she married Bob Billings, founder of Alvamar Development in 1959.
Current Status: Active in the Lawrence area. Sound description: High-energy, old-timey string band. Influences: The Freight Hoppers, Foghorn Stringband, Dirk Powell, Bruce Molsky, Rayna Gellert, Light and Hitch, Tallboys, Rockridge Brothers, High on the Hog, the Carter Family, The Skillet Lickers, Konnarock Critters.
About the Nature Center. Prairie Park Nature Center opened in 1999 as a 100-acre nature preserve on the east side of Lawrence. The preserve incorporates wetlands, woodlands and prairie habitats and a five acre lake. Visitors may see a wide variety of native Kansas wildlife on the property including beavers, deer, bobcats and birds of prey.
In November 2013, the Lawrence City Commission accepted the donation of 7.98 acres of land, which houses a lake and a trail from the Bert Nash Community Health Center to become a park named for the former CEO of Bert Nash Sandra J. Shaw. Shaw was CEO of Bert Nash for 22 years.
Veterans Park, a 3-acre piece of land, is located on the corner of Louisiana and 19th Sts. and is home to a beautiful rose garden. The Eutin Rose Garden, named after the City of Lawrence’s sister city in Germany, is a popular attraction for both visitors and residents in the summer.
The Watkins Museum is a partner in the Freedom’s Frontier National Heritage Area. Use Giving Assistant to save money and support Douglas County Historical Society Donate up to 30% of your Lowe's purchase price to Douglas County Historical Society with Giving Assistant.