The reserve lies within the City of Lincoln but it is a comparatively quiet and secluded sanctuary. It was excavated as a source of ballast for the construction of the railway. It has since matured into a most attractive lake with beds of reed and sedge, and emergent vegetation. There are mature trees and shrubs, mainly willow and sallow, flanking the railway. A hide overlooks the mere to the west of the reserve.
The project has been grant-aided by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Big Lottery Fund Parks for People initiative in a joint venture by Linkage and City of Lincoln Council. Boultham Park is a special place to many residents, and this project aims to revitalise the park, restoring features and developing new facilities, encouraging community involvement and ownership, as well as creating lasting memories for local people and park users.
Dunston Pillar is a Grade II listed stone tower in Lincolnshire, England and a former 'land lighthouse'. It stands beside the A15 road approximately 6 miles (10 km) south of Lincoln near the junction of the B1178 (also known as Tower Lane), in the parish of Dunston, north of Sleaford
Ellis' Mill CLOSURE NOTICE - Unfortunately, the Mill will be closed for the foreseeable future while maintenance work is completed. This wonderful Lincoln mill is located on Mill Road, so called due to the nine windmills that formerly faced west over the steep slopes of the Lincoln Edge.
This reserve was created with the help of European funding following the completion of flood defence works undertaken by the Environment Agency on the River Witham in 2002 to 2004. The site has been developed to benefit wildlife associated with fen and reedbeds.
This page combines information for the address Rope Walk, Lincoln, LN6 7DQ, and the neighbourhood in which it resides. If you wish, you can also view information for the whole of LN6 here. For more details on the exact area these statistics cover, please see the map below and click "Show Census Area Covered" immediately below the map.
Greetwell Hollow is an interesting wildlife haven and geological site. The limestone grassland in the valley offers a wide range of wildflowers including bee orchid and the scrub offers great homes for wintering and nesting birds. The stream that flows through the centre of the reserve supports wetland plants and attracts snipe, moorhen and heron.
Housed in a timbered 16th Century building within the Cathedral Quarter, Harding House Gallery provides a unique and exciting place for artists to exhibit their work. The Co-operative was set up in 1994 by a group of local artists who decided to establish a much needed outlet for the contemporary visual arts in Lincoln.
High Bridge, Lincoln The High Bridge in Lincoln, England, is the oldest bridge in the United Kingdom which still has buildings on it. The bridge was built about 1160 AD and a bridge chapel was built dedicated to Thomas Becket in 1235 on the east side of the bridge.
Experience the International Bomber Command Centre. From the 31 metre-tall (102 foot-tall), 73 ton memorial Spire and its surrounding Walls of Names to the interactive Chadwick visitor centre, you will discover the story of Bomber Command and remember the lives of those who fought to preserve the freedom we enjoy today.
Book tickets for Lincoln Castle now or buy a joint ticket to visit the Castle and Lincoln Cathedral. Built by William the Conqueror in 1068 on a site occupied since Roman times, Lincoln Castle has dominated the Lincoln skyline for almost one thousand years.
The Corporate Body of Lincoln Cathedral is an exempt ecclesiastical corporation (HMRC charity reference number X7802); The Lincoln Cathedral Music Fund is a registered charity in England and Wales (1033089); The Lincoln Cathedral Learning, Arts, Culture and Events CIO is a registered Charity in England and Wales (1175597); Minster Shops Ltd. is a registered company (01015279) Lincoln Cathedral Quarry Ltd. is a registered company (04634976).
The Palace was one of the most impressive buildings of medieval England, reflecting the power and wealth of Lincoln’s bishops. It is situated on a spectacular hillside site, just below Lincoln cathedral, providing extensive views over the city.
A memorial to the Lincoln engineers that worked together to invent the tank in Lincoln in 1915. William Foster & Co. was a Lincoln company in the early 20th century and was instrumental in the invention of the tank - a machine that is said to have cut short World War 1 and saved millions of lives.
Lincoln Water System (LWS) has been providing safe water to City residents since 1883. The source of Lincoln's high-quality water is a river aquifer that provides natural filtering through sand formations. LWS treats and disinfects the well water before sending it to customers.
Monks Wood is a 157 hectare National Nature Reserve north-west of Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire, and a Nature Conservation Review site, Grade I. A slightly larger area of 169.3 hectares is the Monks Wood and The Odd Quarter biological Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Welcome to our web site. We are a small museum on the edge of the Lincolnshire Fens specialising in agricultural equipment. The museum has a collection of tractors, agricultural machinery, commercial vehicles and a narrow gauge railway. We are open to the public on the first Sunday of the month, April to October.
Four gateways were built; North, South, East and West. From about AD90 the site became a colonia, a self-governing town for retired legionaries, named Lindum Colonia. This important Roman city was built of large stone buildings reflecting its status as a model of Roman urbanism.
Pottergate Arch Pottergate Arch is one of only two remaining medieval gates that gave access to the cathedral close surrounding Lincoln Cathedral (the other being Exchequer Gate). The gate gave access to the grounds of Lincoln Cathedral from Lindum Road, and formed part of a tall stone wall surrounding the cathedral enclave.
Lincoln itself had four single-sex grammar schools until September 1974. The Priory Academy LSST converted to academy status in 2008, in turn establishing The Priory Federation of Academies. The Priory Witham Academy was formed when the federation absorbed Moorlands Infant School, Usher Junior School and Ancaster High School.
Royal Air Force Skellingthorpe or more simply RAF Skellingthorpe is a former Royal Air Force station which was operational during the Second World War. It was located in the city of Lincoln, England. It was known as "Skelly" by the RAF personnel serving there.
RAF Waddington Heritage Centre focuses on the History of RAF Waddington from 1916 to present day including exhibits from the Second World War, the Cold War, the Black Buck raids of the Falklands campaigns up to the present day. There is a display of a Lancaster bomber that was discovered where it had crashed on a Scottish hillside. This will make the basis of an activity on crash site investigations.
St Benedict's Church is a small stone building set off High Street, in the centre of the shopping area in Lincoln. It is an attractive setting with a splendid war memorial outside it with flower borders. Now no longer used as a church, this is the Mothers' Union Centre.
St Mary's Guildhall is a major domestic complex, indicating the highest social status, built in the part of the medieval city of Lincoln, England known as Wigford. The Guildhall faces directly onto Lincoln High Street and stands to the north of Sibthorp Street. To the south is the late Saxon church of St Peter at Gowts.
Steep Hill is a popular tourist street in the historic city of Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England. At the top of the hill is the entrance to Lincoln Cathedral and at the bottom is Well Lane. The Hill consists of independent shops, tea rooms and pubs. In 2011, Steep Hill was named "Britain's Best Place" by the Academy of Urbanism.
Tattershall Castle has its origins in either a stone castle or a fortified manor house, built by Robert de Tattershall in 1231. This was largely rebuilt in brick, and greatly expanded, by Ralph, 3rd Lord Cromwell, Treasurer of England, between 1430 and 1450.
Welcome to the Natural World Centre Situated within Whisby Nature Park, The Natural World Centre is just five miles from Lincoln City centre. Whisby Nature Park is managed by Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust and offers over six miles of all ability footpaths, ideal for a relaxing day out or a bit of wildlife watching.
Watts Wood was been planned and planted by the Watts family and friends over a period of 20 years From humble origins as a cereal field, Watts Wood was been carefully planned and planted by the Watts family and friends over a period of 20 years.
Faced with the crisis, city officials and the waterboard commissioned the construction of the Westgate Water Tower, which still supplies water to the majority of uphill Lincoln today. The building was designed by Victorian architect Sir Reginald Blomfield and was completed in 1911.
Whisby Nature Park is a beautiful landscape near Lincoln, full of wildlife, walks and trails. Once barren and lifeless, this amazing place now abounds with wildlife. The park was created by quarrying for sand and gravel, but nature has reclaimed the pits and bare sand, creating habitats for many species.