Seven Wonders of Ukraine Website: www.sofiyivka.org.ua Sofiyivsky Park (Ukrainian: Софіївський парк; Polish: Zofiówka) is an arboretum (type of botanical garden) and a scientific-researching institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (NASU Department of Biology).
Arcadia is a historical part of Odessa, Ukraine, which is known as a famous resort. It is located in the coastal part of the city, close to the quarters of 5th and 7th stations of Velyky Fontan. The quarter was named after a mountainous district in Greece, which was known as the home of pastoral villagers.
Odessa is also a Ukrainian naval base and home to a fishing fleet. It is known for its large outdoor market – the Seventh-Kilometer Market, the largest of its kind in Europe. The city has seen violence in the 2014 pro-Russian conflict in Ukraine during 2014 Odessa clashes.
The two hundred year history of Odessa has included about 300 distinguished writers, all represented in the 24 halls of Odessa Literature Museum, established in 1977. Located near Deribasovskaya Street and the Odessa Opera House this magnificent palace with luxuriant halls was designed by L.Otton.
The first monument to Alexander Pushkin in Ukraine and the second in the Russian Empire was opened in Odessa on the Primorsky Boulevard in 1889 Zh.Polonskaya was a sculptor, and A. Vasiliev – an architect. The bust is made of bronze. Pedestal – granite. This monument is considered one of the best in portrait likeness.
At the beginning of the Zhvanetskii boulevard there is a monument to Orange , which saved the city . We know from history that the development of the city at the end of the XVIII century depended on the completion of thebuilding of the seaport , but the Emperor Paul I cut off funding andto resume the building people sent tropical fruits to the ...
Monument to the founders of Odessa, also known as monument to Catherine the Great and her companions: José de Ribas, François Sainte de Wollant, Platon Zubov and Grigory Potemkin. Located in Odessa on Ekaterininskaya Square. Built in 1900 by the project of Odessa architect Yuri Melent’evich Dmitrenko.
The grand opening of the Museum of heroic defense of Odessa was held in 9th of May , 1975 on the 30th anniversary of the Great Victory over Nazi Germany. By the will of the grateful descendants the square of 16 hectares of 411- th battery turned into a kind of open-air museum with an exhibition of military equipment and weapons of the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945.
apartment exhibitions of nonconformists of Odessa 70s; post-underground `90s; New names of Odessa and others. On two floors, spacious rooms are located just 10 different exposures. Some of them are temporary - are demonstrating their talents and creativity of the young artists on tour; The second part - a permanent gallery.
Odessa Archaeological Museum, one of the oldest in Ukraine, was founded in 1825. Its development was promoted by the Odessa Society of antiquity and history, which had the right to carry out excavations in the Northern Black Sea Region. There are more than 160 000 exhibits.
The Odessa Museum of Western and Oriental Art possesses one of the finest collections of foreign art in the Ukraine. It was founded in 1923 on the basis of private collections assembled by the local Committee for the Protection of Monuments of Art and Antiquity, and also of works received from the City Museum of Fine Arts and the cabinet of art history at Novorossiysky University.
"So, lived I in Odessa then...". Such is the epigraph to the museum dedicated to the great Russian Poet, Aleksandr Sergeyevich Pushkin. The poet stayed in Odessa for 13 months (July 1823 - August 1824) while in his southern exile. For one month Pushkin stayed in one of the city's first hotels, Hôtel du Nord.
Odessa zoo is the only one in Ukraine where the Indian elephants, who became the parents of already three cubs, are reproducing successfully. In 1992, the happy couple got their first cub. It received the name of Sim Elephant aka Fantick and become the actor of the European circus.
The faithful wife watched the ships of the Black sea fleet and waited for the return of the fleet of «Glory» and «Soviet Ukraine», the tanker «Tuapse» and «Nakhimov». Monument to seaman’s wife in Odessa is a real symbol of the city. The wife of a sailor with a child in her hands watches and meets every ship entering or leaving the port of Odessa. Tourists, who arrive in Odessa, happily wave to the bronze sculpture by the hand as the sigh to come back here again.
The Seventh-Kilometer Market (Russian: Промрынок 7ой километр, Promrynok 7oi Kilometr; Ukrainian: Ринок «Сьомий кілометр», Rynok Syomyi Kilometr), informally known as Tolchok Толчок, or Tolkuchka толкучка (Russian for shove, shoving), is an outdoor market outside of Odessa, Ukraine
Odessa Sights Shah’s Palace Description. The building was erected in the English Gothic style by architect F.Gonsiorovskiy in 1852 for Polish noble Z.Brzozowski. This family had owned the palace until 1910 when another Polish noble bought it, Count Schenbeck. He rented it to Mohammad Ali Shah Qajar, the deposed Shah of Persia.
Central Park of Culture and Recreation of Taras Shevchenko is a park in Odessa. It is located in the central part of Odessa city. It carries the name of Taras Shevchenko since 1954. History. After the conquest of Khadzhibey in 1795, certain fortifications existed near Cape Langeron.
The Transfiguration Cathedral in Odessa is the Orthodox Cathedral in Odessa, Ukraine, dedicated to the Saviour's Transfiguration and belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate). The first and foremost church in the city of Odessa, the cathedral was founded in 1794 by Gavril Bănulescu-Bodoni.
The Vorontsov Lighthouse (Ukrainian: Воронцовський маяк, Russian: Воронцовский маяк) is a famous red-and-white, 27.2 metre landmark in the Black Sea port of Odessa, Ukraine. It is named after Prince Mikhail Semyonovich Vorontsov, one of the governors-general of the Odessa region.
Vorontsov's Palace The colonnade and one of its Medici Lions. The Vorontsov Palace (Ukrainian: Воронцовський палац; Russian: Воронцовский дворец) is a 19th-century palace and colonnade in Odessa, Ukraine, at the end of the Primorsky Boulevard pedestrian walkway.