There are several beaches in Sicily that are in or very near Palermo including Mondello, Aspra, Cefalu, San Vito Lo Capo, Isola delle Femmine, and Arenella. Each of these beaches is located either directly in the city of Palermo or within an hour’s drive from the city itself.
The Capuchin Catacombs of Palermo (also Catacombe dei Cappuccini or Catacombs of the Capuchins) are burial catacombs in Palermo, Sicily, southern Italy. Today they provide a somewhat macabre tourist attraction as well as an extraordinary historical record.
Inspired by a vision of the Virgin and determined to outdo his grandfather Roger II, who was responsible for the cathedral in Cefalù and the Cappella Palatina in Palermo, William II set about building the Cattedrale di Monreale, 8km southwest of Palermo.
The Church of San Cataldo is a Catholic church located at Piazza Bellini in central Palermo, Sicily, Italy.Erected in 1154 as a notable example of the Arab-Norman architecture which flourished in Sicily under Norman rule on the island, the church is annexed to that of Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio.
The Cuba (Sicilian: La Cubba) is a palace in the Sicilian city of Palermo.It was built in 1180 by William II of Sicily in his great Royal Park, as his personal recreation pavilion, together with an artificial lake: it shows strong Fatimid art influences, as it was (at least partially) designed and decorated by Arab artists still living in ...
The Foro Italico is a lawn along the seafront of Palermo, Sicily, Italy. In 1582 Vice-King Marco Antonio Colonna created a walking path in this part of the coast, that became a favorite destination for the leisure of the upper classes of the city in the 17th and 18th centuries.
Located in Palermo, 0.7 miles from Piazza Politeama, B&B Al Giardino Inglese features air-conditioned rooms with free WiFi throughout the property. Located in Palermo, 0.7 miles from Piazza Politeama, B&B Al Giardino Inglese features air-conditioned rooms with free WiFi throughout the property.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception (Italian: Chiesa dell'Immacolata Concezione or Immacolata Concezione al Capo) is a Baroque church of Palermo. It is located inside the market of the Capo, in the quarter of the Seralcadio, within the historic centre of Palermo. The church is near Porta Carini, in the heart of the ancient market.
The Martorana Also Co-Cathedral of St. Mary of the Admiral (Italian: Concattedrale Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio) is the seat of the parish of San Nicolò dei Greci (Albanian: Klisha e Shën Kollit së Arbëreshëvet), a Co-cathedral overlooking the Piazza Bellini in Palermo, Sicily, southern Italy.
Mondello is the largest beach in Palermo and is the closest to the city while Cefalu and San Vito Lo Capo are both about an hour away from Palermo’s city center. Mondello Beach. The golden sands of Mondello Beach or Mondello Lido as the locals would call it are truly spectacular.
Path up Mount Pellegrino, Palermo Sicily The path to the top of Mt. Pellegrino is paved. Or, more accurately, paved by the same granite stones that line the sidewalks throughout Palermo. This ancient road switches back and forth along the steep mountain, sometimes over raised walkways.
A high point in this tradition was reached in the baroque era by Giacomo Serpotta, in the oratories that he decorated in Palermo. The oratory of San Lorenzo (St Lawrence) is a prime example, where a visual feast awaits the visitor which should not be missed.
Between the 17th and 18th centuries, sculptor Giacomo Serpotta (1656-1732) filled the walls of the Oratory of the Rosary of Santa Cita (Oratorio del Rosario di Santa Cita) – in his hometown, Palermo – with putti, cupids, angels, and Virtues made of stucco.
The Orto Botanico di Palermo (Palermo Botanical Garden) is both a botanical garden and a research and educational institution of the Department of Botany of the University of Palermo. The garden lies within the city of Palermo, Italy at 10 m (33 feet) above sea-level.
La Palazzina Cinese nota come Casina Cinese situata nel Parco Reale della Favorita a Palermo, fu originariamente, costruita nel 1790 da Benedetto Lombardo della Scala nelle forme di una semplice casa lignea in stile cinese affiancata da alcuni locali, e delimitata da molti ettari di terreno.
The palazzo, an example of Gothic-Catalan architecture, was designed in the 15th century by Matteo Carnelivari, at the time working in Palermo at the palazzo Aiutamicristo. It was the residence of Francesco Abatellis (or Patella), port master of the Kingdom of Sicily.
Palazzo Branciforte was built at the end of the 1500s as an aristocratic residence, but by the beginning of the 19th century part of it had become home to Palermo’s Monte dei Pegni (pawnshop), filling up with “non-precious goods”, silk and linens, simple copper and bronze objects.
The Palazzo dei Normanni (Palace of the Normans) or Royal Palace of Palermo is a palace in Palermo, Italy. It was the seat of the Kings of Sicily during the Norman domination and served afterwards as the main seat of power for the subsequent rulers of Sicily. Seat of the Sicilian Parliament, today it is the seat of the Sicilian Regional Assembly.
Durante la sua costruzione avvenne l'alluvione di Palermo (21-23 febbraio 1931): la grande gru che stava lavorando alla costruzione del palazzo delle Poste crollò su un edificio limitrofo a causa del forte vento. Danneggiato da un incendio nel 1988, sono stati eseguiti lavori di restauro.
The Praetorian Palace (Italian: Palazzo Pretorio), also known as Palace of the Eagles (Italian: Palazzo delle Aquile), is a palace of Palermo.The building has an important role in the political life of the city, since it houses the mayor and the offices of the municipality of Palermo.
The Palazzo Riso, or RISO, Museo d’Arte Contemporanea della Sicilia (RISO, Contemporary Art Museum of Sicily also known as Palazzo Belmonte Riso), is a regional contemporary art museum located in the ancient Corso Vittorio Emanuele, Palermo, Italy History and architecture. The Palazzo Riso's architecture ...
Palazzo Gangi Valguarnera. Palermo is a very intimate and secret city, hiding many of its beauties. Walking in the historic centre full of contrasts, you come across beautiful squares and opulent restored buildings and in other very decadent and crumbling ones.
Pretoria Square At the end of a narrow passage, the spectacular Piazza Pretoria with its fountain and the numerous gleaming white statues is captivating. Rearranged in the Sixteenth century, it is a marvellous example of urban planning, which has achieved a perfect balance between space and volume.
Quattro Canti, officially known as Piazza Vigliena, is a Baroque square in Palermo, Sicily, Southern Italy. It was laid out on the orders of the Viceroys between 1608-1620 by Giulio Lasso at the crossing of the two principal streets in Palermo, the Via Maqueda and the Corso Vittorio Emanuele.
The Regional Archeological Museum Antonio Salinas (Italian: Museo Archeologico Regionale Antonio Salinas) is a museum in Palermo, Italy. It possesses one of the richest collections of Punic and Ancient Greek art in Italy, as well as many items related to the history of Sicily.
Collecting Italian majolica floor tiles This story is about love and dedication, about beauty and craftsmanship, about history and heritage. Pio Mellina is a man who turned his passion for antique Italian tiles into a dream and a few years ago the dream came true.
San Giuseppe dei Teatini is a church in the Sicilian city of Palermo. It is located near the Quattro Canti, and is considered one of the most outstanding examples of the Sicilian Baroque in Palermo. The church was built at the beginning of the 17th century by Giacomo Besio, a Genoese member of the Theatines order.
Santa Maria dello Spasimo, or Lo Spasimo, is an unfinished Catholic church in the Kalsa neighborhood in Palermo, Sicily, on Via dello Spasimo. Construction of the church and accompanying monastery of the Olivetan Order began in 1509 with a papal bull from Julius II, on land bequeathed by Giacomo Basilicò, a lawyer and the widower of a rich noblewoman.
The Santuario di Santa Rosalia was built in 1625 and is actually a church and a convent extending 25 meters into the cave. While the iron front gate and rocky interior makes the Santuario seem intimidating and rough at first, the church is actually very beautiful.
The cheapest way to get from Palermo to Sferracavallo costs only 1€, and the quickest way takes just 11 mins. Find the travel option that best suits you. The cheapest way to get from Palermo to Sferracavallo costs only 1€, and the quickest way takes just 11 mins.
The Zisa is a castle in the western part of Palermo in Sicily, southern Italy. It is included in the UNESCO Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral Churches of Cefalù and Monreale World Heritage Site. The construction was begun in the 12th century by Arabian craftsmen for king William I of Sicily, and completed by his son William II.