Carrying Nevsky Prospekt across the Fontanka River, the first Anichkov Bridge was a wooden structure erected as early as 1716. Its name honors the engineer of that first bridge, Mikhail Anichkov. In the 1780s, a series of almost identical stone bascule bridges were built across the Fontanka, and Anichkov Bridge was one of them - Lomonosov Bridge is the most famous to have survived intact.
Anichkov Palace One of the oldest building's on Nevsky Prospekt, St. Petersburg's central thoroughfare, Anichkov Palace stands next to the landmark Anichkov Bridge across the Fontanka River. When the building was commissioned by Empress Elizabeth in 1741, the site of the palace was on the outskirts of St. Petersburg, and Nevsky Prospekt was lined with trees.
The Bronze Horseman (Russian: Медный всадник, literally "copper horseman") is an equestrian statue of Peter the Great in the Senate Square in Saint Petersburg, Russia. Commissioned by Catherine the Great, it was created by the French sculptor Étienne Maurice Falconet.
The cabin of Peter the Great (Russian: Domik Petra I or Domik Petra Pervogo or Domik Petra Velikogo) is a small wooden house which was the first St Petersburg "palace" of Tsar Peter the Great. The log cabin was constructed in three days in May 1703, by soldiers of the Semyonovskiy Regiment.
The park is especially frequented in summer, when not only the palaces but the pavilions are open for visiting too. The Hermitage (architect: Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli) is the most sumptuous and perfect pavilion of the Russian Baroque period in the Catherine Park.
The Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood). The construction of the church was almost entirely funded by the Imperial family and thousands of private donators. Both the interior and exterior of the church is decorated with incredibly detailed mosaics, designed and created by the most prominent Russian artists of the day (V.M. Vasnetsov, M.V. Nesterov and M.A. Vrubel).
The Dutch Admiralty is the name applied to three follies designed in the traditional Dutch style and erected in summer 1773 on the bank of the Large Pond in the Catherine Park of Tsarskoe Selo. The pavilions are flanked by two towers in the Russian Gothic style.
Located 350 feet from Nevsky Prospekt Metro Station in Saint Petersburg, Apartment on Griboyedov Canal offers free WiFi. This apartment features air conditioning and comes with a washing machine, flat-screen TV and sofa. The private bathroom includes free toiletries and a hairdryer.
About theater The Hermitage Theater, which used to be imperial theatre during more than a century, is now proud to welcome guests all over the world. During all these years we are working to conserve rich traditions of the world famous classic Russian ballet.
Historic Centre of Saint Petersburg and Related Groups of Monuments is the name used by UNESCO when it collectively designated the historic core of the Russian city of St. Petersburg, as well as buildings and ensembles located in the immediate vicinity as a World Heritage Site in 1991.
Kazan Cathedral or Kazanskiy Kafedralniy Sobor (Russian: Каза́нский кафедра́льный собо́р), also known as the Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan, is a cathedral of the Russian Orthodox Church on the Nevsky Prospekt in Saint Petersburg. It is dedicated to Our Lady of Kazan, probably the most venerated icon in Russia.
Krestovsky Island is the largest of the three Kirov Islands, which stand north of the Petrograd Side in the Neva delta. It has for centuries been a popular playground for the general populace of St. Petersburg, with much of the island common ground from the beginning of the 19 th century.
Nevsky Prospekt Nevsky Prospekt is St. Petersburg's main avenue and one of the best-known streets in Russia. Cutting through the historical center of the city, it runs from the Admiralty to the Moscow Railway Station and then, after a slight kink, to the Alexander Nevsky Monastery.
New Holland Island is a historic triangular artificial island in Saint Petersburg, Russia, dating from the 18th century.HistoryThe island was created in 1719, when the newly built Kryukov Canal and Admiralty Canal connected the Moika River with the Neva. The triangular island took its name after a ...
Nicholas Palace (Russian: Николаевский дворец, Nikolayevsky dvorets) was one of several St Petersburg palaces designed by Andreas Stackensneider (1802-65) for the children of Nicholas I of Russia. The palace of Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaievich of Russia forms part of a sprawling complex incorporating a palatial church, a manege, and several outbuildings separated from Labour Square by a cast-iron fence.
The Dvortsovaya(Palace) Embankment or Dvortsovaya(Palace) Quay is a street along the Neva River in Central Saint Petersburg which contains the complex of the Hermitage Museum buildings (including the Winter Palace), the Hermitage Theatre, the Marble Palace, the Vladimir Palace, the New Michael Palace, the Saltykov Mansion and the Summer Garden.
Pavlovsk palace was designed by a brilliant Scottish architect Charles Cameron. Built in the Classicism style, this gold and white edifice seems both light and monumental. Its fortunate location on a hill makes the palace visible even from the distant corners of Pavlovsk park.
Lacking the fame and tourist appeal of the Hermitage or the Mariinsky Theatre, the Peter and Paul Fortress is certainly no less of a St. Petersburg landmark. The first structure to be built in St. Petersburg, and thus the birthplace of the city, it never served its intended defensive function.
Location of Petrogradka on a map. Petrogradka is a city found in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It is located 59.97 latitude and 30.31 longitude and it is situated at elevation 13 meters above sea level. Petrogradka has a population of 130,455 making it the 7th biggest city in Saint Petersburg. It ...
St. Isaac's Cathedral was originally the city's main church and the largest cathedral in Russia. It was built between 1818 and 1858, by the French-born architect Auguste Montferrand, to be one of the most impressive landmarks of the Russian Imperial capital.
St. Michael's Castle (Russian: Миха́йловский за́мок, Mikhailovsky zamok), also called the Mikhailovsky Castle or the Engineers' Castle (Russian: Инженерный замок, Inzhenerny zamok), is a former royal residence in the historic centre of Saint Petersburg, Russia.
The cathedral is dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul, the patron saints of the fortress (Saint Peter being the patron saint of the city). The current cathedral is the second one on the site. The first, built soon after Peter's founding of the city, was consecrated by Archbishop Iov of Novgorod the Great in April 1704.
The House of Books or the Singer House. The famous bookstore, one of the centers of cultural and intellectual life of the city The six-storey Art Nouveau building with a mansard, with an area of about 7,000 m², was built in 1902-1904 by architect Pavel Syuzor for the Singer Sewing Machine Company in Russia.
Other articles where Smolny Institute is discussed: St. Petersburg: The rise to splendour: Isaac’s cathedrals, the Smolny Institute, the new Admiralty, the Senate, and the Mikhaylovsky Palace (now the State Russian Museum) are representative of the splendid buildings of this period.
Naval Cathedral of St. Nicholas The golden Baroque spires and domes of St. Nicholas' Cathedral (known locally as the Sailors' Cathedral) rises among the trees at the bottom of Ulitsa Glinki and shines above the bland residential and commercial buildings in the area.
When the Summer Palace was completed in 1714, it became the residence of Peter the Great and his second wife Catherine I of Russia and many of their 12 children—with Peter occupying the first floor and Catherine, along with the children, occupying the second one, until Peter’s death in 1725.
Monument to Alexander Pushkin in Tsarskoye Selo Built for Empress Elizabeth by Bartolomeo Rastrelli, the architect of St. Petersburg's Winter Palace, the Catherine Palace is undoubtedly Tsarskoe Selo's top attraction, particularly renowned for the extraordinary Amber Room.
Vasilyevsky Island in St. Petersburg Vasilyevsky Island (Russian: Васи́льевский о́стров, Vasilyevsky Ostrov, V.O.) is an island in St. Petersburg, Russia, bordered by the Bolshaya Neva and Malaya Neva Rivers (in the delta of the Neva River) in the south and northeast, and by the Gulf of Finland in the west.
The Winter Palace was an official residence of the Russian sovereign from 1732 until 1917; however, it was their home for little more than 140 of those years. The last Tsar to truly reside in the palace was Alexander II, who ruled from 1855 to 1881, when he was assassinated.