Before Pisa, the Arno is crossed by the Imperial Canal at La Botte. This water channel passes under the Arno through a tunnel, and serves to drain the former area of the Lago di Bientina, which was once the largest lake in Tuscany before its reclamation. The flow rate of the Arno is irregular.
The Baths of Nero (Italian - Bagni di Nerone) are an archaeological site near the Porta a Lucca in Pisa, then the Roman city of Colonia Pisana. Now below street level, they are the only Roman remains still standing in the city and form a thermae complex.
The Cittadella Nuova (New Citadel), now called the Giardino di Scotto or Giardino Scotto (Scotto's Garden) is an old fortress in Pisa. History. The citadel was called "nuova" (new) to distinguish it from the older Cittadella Vecchia on the seaward side of the city.
The Knights’ Square (Italian: Piazza dei Cavalieri) is a landmark in Pisa, Italy, and the second main square of the city. This square was the political centre in medieval Pisa. After the middle of 16th century the square became the headquarters of the Order of the Knights of St. Stephen.
L’Orto Botanico dell’Università di Pisa è sorto nel 1543 per l’intuizione del famoso medico e botanico imolese Luca Ghini, chiamato a tenere la cattedra di botanica nella città toscana l’anno precedente, e grazie ai finanziamenti concessi dal granduca di Toscana, Cosimo I de’ Medici.
The Leaning Tower of Pisa (Italian: Torre pendente di Pisa) or simply the Tower of Pisa (Torre di Pisa [ˈtorre di ˈpiːza]) is the campanile, or freestanding bell tower, of the cathedral of the Italian city of Pisa, known worldwide for its unintended tilt.
Logge di Banchi Facciata verso l'Arno - Logge dei Banchi (G. Gattiglia) Designed by Bernardo Buontalenti and built by Cosimo Pugliani, between 1603 and 1605, by will of the Grand Duke of Tuscany Ferdinando I de’Medici, the Logge di Banchi were the place of the wool and silk market, money changers’ stalls and the cereals market.
The Museo dell’Opera del Duomo – literally the “Museum of Cathedral Works” – opened in 1986 in the former Episcopal seminary, or Seminario Vescovile. It was the outcome of a long museum project designed to display and illustrate the art of Pisa, and in particular its mediaeval sculpture, which had its roots in the centuries-old Piazza.
Sinopie Museum The “reverse” of the fresco Destined to remain concealed beneath the finished work, the precious “sinopia” is the only graphic work that we still have of the early masters, for drawings on paper or parchment that have survived from way back in the Middle Ages are extremely rare.
The National Museum of San Matteo in Pisa (Museo Nazionale di San Matteo) displays works from historic ecclesiastical buildings in the city and Province of Pisa. Collections. The works span from early Medieval period to the 16th century. The collection includes sculptural masterworks by Nicola Pisano and Donatello.
The Certosa di Calci is Huge! A day trip travelling between Florence and Pisa offers quite a few exciting options, for example one of the world's leading scientific museums hidden within the walls of an extra-large monastery at the foot of the Apuane Alps.
The Natural History Museum of the University of Pisa (Museo di storia naturale dell'Università di Pisa) is an Italian natural history museum at Pisa. It is part of the University of Pisa and is now located in Pisa Charterhouse 10 km from the city of Pisa in the comune (municipality) of Calci.
Palazzo Agostini Pisa › Attractions - Historical Edifices › Palazzo Agostini What is noteworthy about the Palazzo Agostini (also referred to as Palazzo dell’Ussero for reasons to be explained below) is it stands out as one of the few buildings which have managed to preserve best their original medieval Gothic structure and dash.
Palazzo Blu is a center for temporary exhibitions and cultural activities located in 9 Lungarno Gambacorti, in the heart of the historic center of Pisa, Italy. This museum is managed by the Fondazione Palazzo Blu (a foundation funded by Fondazione Pisa), and is located in the Palazzo Giuli Rosselmini Gualandi (and Palazzo Casarosa), ancient palace restored by the Fondazione Pisa.
Palazzo Agonigi da Scorno, Pisa First built in the 12th Century, this structure was transformed into a palace in the 17th Century. Parts of the original edifice remain, although the building also had to be restored more recently after suffering damage in World War II.
Il palazzo ha cambiato nome nel tempo a seconda della magistratura che ha ospitato: da palazzo dell'Archivio e della Cancelleria nel medioevo a palazzo dei Priori dopo la conquista fiorentina a palazzo del Consiglio dei Dodici quando passò nelle mani dell'Ordine dei cavalieri di Santo Stefano; il Consiglio dei cavalieri di dodici membri scelti era infatti un organo decisionale dell'Ordine.
The Piazza dei Miracoli (English: Square of Miracles), formally known as Piazza del Duomo (English: Cathedral Square), is a walled 8.87-hectare area located in Pisa, Tuscany, Italy, recognized as an important center of European medieval art and one of the finest architectural complexes in the world.
The Pisa Baptistery of St. John (Italian: Battistero di San Giovanni) is a Roman Catholic ecclesiastical building in Pisa, Italy. Construction started in 1152 to replace an older baptistery, and when it was completed in 1363, it became the second building, in chronological order, in the Piazza dei Miracoli, near the Duomo di Pisa and the cathedral's free-standing campanile, the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa.
Pisa Cathedral is a medieval Roman Catholic cathedral dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, in the Piazza dei Miracoli in Pisa, Italy. It is a notable example of Romanesque architecture, in particular the style known as Pisan Romanesque. It is the seat of the Archbishop of Pisa.
Pisa Charterhouse, also known as Calci Charterhouse (Certosa di Pisa, Certosa di Calci), is a former Carthusian monastery, or charterhouse, currently the home of the Museo di storia naturale e del territorio dell'Università di Pisa ("Museum of Natural History and of the Territory of the University of Pisa"), located in the comune of Calci, some 10 km outside Pisa, Tuscany, Italy.
San Michele in Borgo The Church of San Michele in Borgo along with its monastery is one of the city's oldest surviving religious buildings. It was built in the late 10th and early 11th-centuries on the site of an ancient Roman temple dedicated to the war-like god, Mars.
San Nicola is mentioned for the first time, together with the annexed convent, in 1097. In 1297-1313 the Augustinians enlarged it, perhaps under design by Giovanni Pisano (eastern side). In the 17th century the edifice was restored with the addition of altars and the Sacrament Chapel by Matteo Nigetti (1614).
San Paolo a Ripa d'Arno (St. Paul on the bank of the Arno) is a Roman Catholic church in Pisa, region of Tuscany, Italy. It is a pre-eminent example of Tuscan Romanesque church architecture. The church is also locally known as Duomo vecchio (old cathedral).
San Piero a Grado (Italian: Basilica di San Pietro Apostolo) is a church in Pisa, Tuscany, Italy, in the eponymous frazione 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) west of the city center. The church is located where once was a now disappeared port of the Pisan Republic, where, according to the legend, St. Peter landed in Italy from Antiochia in 44 AD.
Sant'Antonio Abate is a Romanesque-style, Roman Catholic church, located facing Piazza Sant'Antonio in Pisa, region of Tuscany, Italy. The church was founded in 1341 with an adjacent convent. It was nearly destroyed after World War Two, and was rebuilt.
Santa Chiara is a Roman Catholic church in Pisa, region of Tuscany, Italy, a few paces away from the Piazza dei Miracoli. History. Originally called the church of Santo Spirito, it was reconstructed in 1227 as the chapel for the adjacent hospital of Santa Chiara (St Clare), later called Spedale Nuovo di Santo Spirito.
Santa Maria della Spina is a small church in the Italian city of Pisa. The church, erected around 1230 in the Pisan Gothic style, and enlarged after 1325, was originally known as Santa Maria di Pontenovo for the newer bridge that existed nearby, collapsed in the 15th century, and was never rebuilt.
Santo Sepolcro (Pisa) The Church of the Santo Sepolcro (Italian: Chiesa del Santo Sepolcro, literally "Church of the Holy Sepulchre") is a religious edifice in Pisa, Tuscany, Italy. Built in the early 12th century (it is known at least from 1113), it was designed by Diotisalvi, who also designed the Baptistery of Pisa Cathedral forty years later.
Santo Stefano dei Cavalieri is a church in central Pisa located on Piazza dei Cavalieri (Knight's Square). Construction began on 17 April 1565 in order to build a church for the Order of Knights of St Stephan, founded by the Grand Duke Cosimo de' Medici to fight Saracen piracy in the Mediterranean.
Santa Maria: Historical Quarter in Tramontana. The Quarter of Santa Maria is in the part of the city called Tramontana, and it is probably the most popular, because it hosts the most famous sights of Pisa: the Leaning Tower, the Duomo, Piazza dei Cavalieri.
The Mural of Keith Haring: Tuttomondo. Keith Haring. Keith Haring (1958-1990) was a young American artist who, starting off with "Subway Drawings", became famous all over the world. These were quickly executed, ephemeral drawings in chalk on temporarily blank advertising bill-boards in the metro subways.