Art Nouveau architecture in Riga makes up roughly one third of all buildings in the centre of Riga, making the Latvian capital the city with the highest concentration of Art Nouveau architecture anywhere in the world. Built during a period of rapid economic growth, most of the Art Nouveau buildings of Riga date from between 1904 and 1914. The style is most commonly represented in multi-storey apartment buildings.
The capital of formerly Soviet-occupied Latvia, Riga is a beautiful mix of old times and modernity. The city is also well-known for its parks, which, though nearly all located centrally, are very clean, relaxed and well-landscaped. Check out this list of five spots of greenery and peace in the bustling town.
The current railway stations in Jūrmala, sorted from east to west, are Priedaine, Lielupe, Bulduri, Dzintari, Majori, Dubulti, Jaundubulti, Pumpuri, Melluži, Asari, Vaivari, Sloka and Ķemeri. Roads. A six lane road, designated A10 and E22, connects Riga to Jūrmala.
Whilst sightseeing in Riga you may come across ‘The Cat House’. Sometimes called Black Cat House or Riga Cat House, this building has become the unofficial symbol of Riga. The house itself dates from 1909 (architect: Friedrich Scheffel) and is a mixture of styles, most notably its medieval twin turrets, on which the cats are perched, and its elaborate Art Nouveau portal surrounding the main entrance. It stands on Livu Square in the centre of Old Riga opposite the Great Guild hall.
The Dzintari Forest Park in Jūrmala is a great place for both lovers of active recreation, and also for those who prefer a leisurely stroll in the crisp pine air. Previous Next The park is located in the heart of Jūrmala, and its most valuable asset is the 200-year-old pine grove and protected habitats, which have remained intact even to this day.
The exhibition Latvia’s Century is a joint contribution of Latvian museums to reveal 100 years of Latvia and to provide an opportunity to see excellent historical objects stored at the museums in all regions of Latvia – Kurzeme, Sēlija, Vidzeme, Zemgale and Riga.
The Natural History Museum of Latvia is the oldest complex collections of natural riches in the Baltic States. The museum dates back to 1845, when members of Riga’s Baltic German intelligentsia established the Society of Nature Explorers, with a museum and a library.
Organization Latvian National Museum of Art consists of four museums and one exhibition hall: Latvian National Museum of Art, Art Museum RIGA BOURSE, Museum of Decorative Arts and Design, Museum of Romans Suta and Aleksandra Beļcova and ARSENĀLS Exhibition Hall.
The Mentzendorff’s House is a branch of the Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation. Mentzendorff’s House. The museum has been named after its last owners, the merchant family of the Mentzendorffs, which lived in the house at the beginning of the 20th century. The shop of August Mentzendorff used to sell the best coffee in Riga.
Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation The Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation is the oldest public museum in Latvia and the Baltic, and is one of the oldest in Europe. The Museum is located in Old Town, in a noteworthy 13th – 20th century architectural monument – the Riga Dome complex.
The Museum of the Occupation of Latvia 1940-1991 (Latvian: Latvijas Okupācijas muzejs) is an historic educational institution located in Riga, Latvia. It was established in 1993 to exhibit artifacts, archive documents, and educate the public about the 51-year period in the 20th century when Latvia was successively occupied by the USSR in 1940, then by Nazi Germany in 1941, and then again by the USSR in 1944.
The Nativity of Christ Cathedral is renowned for its icons, some of which were painted by Vasili Vereshchagin. During the First World War German troops occupied Riga and turned its largest Russian Orthodox cathedral into a Lutheran church. In independent Latvia, the Nativity of Christ Cathedral once again became an Orthodox cathedral in 1921.
When taking a tour of Riga and Old Town, visitors must certainly try to combine this with attending a classical music concert. Every Wednesday, at 1:00 p.m., a classical music concert featuring a duet of talented local musicians will be held at the Our Lady of Sorrows Church in Old Town.
There is no information on the exact date of the construction of Powder Tower. The name of a tower - Powder, has appeared later. The first tower on this place for protection of Riga has been constructed in 13 century. In documents for the first time this place has been mentioned in 14 century by the name of Sand tower.
Riga Art Nouveau Museum was opened on April 23rd, 2009. It is located in the apartment where the outstanding Latvian architect Konstantīns Pēkšēns (1859 - 1928) lived until 1907. The building was constructed in 1903 as K. Pēkšēns private house.
Riga Cathedral (Latvian: Rīgas Doms; German: Dom zu Riga) is the Evangelical Lutheran cathedral in Riga, Latvia. It is the seat of the Archbishop of Riga. The cathedral is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Latvia, and is featured in or the subject of paintings, photographs and television travelogues.
Riga Television Tower (Rigas Radio un Televizijas Tornis in Latvian) is the highest building in the region and third highest TV tower in Europe. Built in the 1980s, it is 368,00 m (1,207.33 ft) above the sea level. This is 3 m higher than the famous Berlin TV tower or 47 m higher than the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
See other articles for the Lutheran cathedral and the Orthodox cathedral. St. James's Cathedral, or the Cathedral Basilica of St. James, (German: Jakobskirche, Latvian: Svētā Jēkaba katedrāle) is the Roman Catholic cathedral of Riga in Latvia. The cathedral is dedicated to Saint James the Greater.
St. John's Church is the oldest house of worship in Riga. Originally the Dominican monastery's chapel was located here in the 13th century. After several reconstructions, around 1500 the edifice acquired its present appearance - high Gothic pediment, span roof and a small tower. In 1523 Riga City Council confiscated St. John's Church.
Since 2014, the National Library of Latvia is located in a building on Mūkusalas Street 3 (Castle of Light). The library building was designed by the internationally acclaimed Latvian-born architect Gunnar Birkerts (USA), and it is among the greatest cultural projects of the 21st century in Latvia. Besides the standard services and routine operations, the Castle of Light and its ...
The cable-stayed bridge Vanšu Bridge over Daugava River in Riga was inaugurated on July 21 year 1981. It was originally called the Gorky Bridge. As of now it has the longest span of all bridges of its type in the world. The bridge is not fully finished according to the original project plan.
A park in the Pardaugava area, bordering Ojāra Vācieša, Hermaņa, Aleksandra Grīna, Uzvaras, and Raņķa dambis streets/boulevards. Slokas and Bāriņu streets cross the park. Ojāra Vācieša street separates it from Arkādija Park. The park covers an area of 36.7 hectares.