The Alexander Column From the creator of the marvelous St. Isaac's Cathedral came this monument to the Russian military victory in the war with Napoleon's France. Named after Emperor Alexander I, who ruled Russia between 1801 and 1825 (during the Napoleonic Wars), the column is a terrific piece of architecture and engineering.
The Amber Room (Russian: Янтарная комната, tr. Yantarnaya Komnata, German: Bernsteinzimmer, Polish: Bursztynowa komnata) is a reconstructed chamber decorated in amber panels backed with gold leaf and mirrors, located in the Catherine Palace of Tsarskoye Selo near Saint Petersburg.
Anichkov Bridge is a popular tourist attraction on Nevsky Prospekt in St. Petersburg. More on historic Anichkov Bridge and other unmissable bridges in St. Petersburg. More on historic Anichkov Bridge and other unmissable bridges in St. Petersburg.
Anichkov Palace One of the oldest building's on Nevsky Prospekt, St. Petersburg's central thoroughfare, Anichkov Palace stands next to the landmark Anichkov Bridge across the Fontanka River. When the building was commissioned by Empress Elizabeth in 1741, the site of the palace was on the outskirts of St. Petersburg, and Nevsky Prospekt was lined with trees.
The Bronze Horseman, an impressive monument to the founder of St Petersburg, Peter the Great, stands on Senatskaia Ploshchad (Square), facing the Neva River and surrounded by the Admiralty, St Isaac's Cathedral and the buildings of the former Senate and Synod - the civil and religious governing bodies of pre-revolutionary Russia.
Cabin of Peter the Great The first residential building to be built in the newly founded city of St. Petersburg was a wooden house or cabin, intended for Tsar Peter himself. The cabin is very small - only 60 square meters in area and is a strange combination of a traditional Russian house or izba and a Dutch home with large and elaborate windows and a high roof covered with wooden tiles.
The Catherine Park, like most of the parks around the Imperial palaces, features both a formal garden and a landscape park. The Formal Park, which is directly behind the Catherine Palace, was laid out during the reign of Empress Elizabeth by a team of architects supervised by Rastrelli.
The Admiralty The original Admiralty was one of the first structures to be built in St Petersburg. It was designed to be a dockyard, where some of the first ships of Russia's Baltic fleet were built (some with the participation of Tsar Peter himself who, was an expert in shipbuilding).
During the Siege of Leningrad the Field of Mars became a huge vegetable garden, and after the siege was lifted a salute was fired from the field. In 1957 the Eternal Flame was lit on the Field of Mars in memory of the victims in St. Petersburg of all wars and revolutions.
In 1923, the Ekaterinsky Canal was renamed in honor of the Russian playwright and diplomat Alexander Griboedov who had lived in a house on the embankment. Today, traveling along the Griboyedov Canal - on foot or by boat - is an indispensable part of exploring St Petersburg.
We are proud to announce the complete schedule of Russian ballet performances in the Hermitage Theater for the season 2017 / 2018, including world famous Swan Lake ballet, beautiful The Nutcracker ballet, dramatic Giselle and romantic Sleeping Beauty ballet shows. We are looking forward to see you enjoying the Hermitage theatre ballet performances.
Historic Centre of Saint Petersburg and Related Groups of Monuments. The 'Venice of the North', with its numerous canals and more than 400 bridges, is the result of a vast urban project begun in 1703 under Peter the Great. Later known as Leningrad (in the former USSR), the city is closely associated with the October Revolution.
The Kunstkamera is the first museum in Russia. Established by Peter the Great and completed in 1727, the Kunstkammer Building hosts the Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography, with a collection of almost 2,000,000 items. It is located on the Universitetskaya Embankment in Saint Petersburg, facing the Winter Palace.
The Marble Palace. Standing between Millionaya Ulitsa and the Neva River at the north-west corner of the Field of Mars, the Marble Palace is among the most impressive of St. Petersburg's former Imperial residences, and arguably the finest work of architect Antonio Rinaldi, a pioneer of neoclassicism in Russia.
Mariinsky Palace, also known as Marie Palace (Russian: Мариинcкий дворец), was the last Neoclassical imperial palace to be constructed in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It was built between 1839 and 1844 to a design by the court architect Andrei Stackensneider.
Nevsky Prospekt is St. Petersburg's main avenue and one of the best-known streets in Russia. Cutting through the historical center of the city, it runs from the Admiralty to the Moscow Railway Station and then, after a slight kink, to the Alexander Nevsky Monastery.
During the first few years of operation, the yard resembled a real Dutch dockyard, so it was nicknamed New Holland due to the presence of foreign shipbuilders and manmade canals. Photo credit: TASS/Roman Pimenov. In the 18th century the island hosted naval warehouses and in the 19th century a naval prison was added.
Dvortsovaya Ploshchad (Palace Square) One of the most beautiful and harmonious ensembles of architecture in the world, Palace Square remains the main public space of St. Petersburg after nearly three centuries. Like Red Square in Moscow, Palace Square in St. Petersburg has been the setting of many major events in Russian history.
Pavlovsk Palace The Great Palace at Pavlovsk is somewhat staid in comparison to its near neighbour at Tsarskoe Selo, forgoing that building's opulent ornamentation for classical elegance and harmony, painted in the deep yellow and white colour scheme typical of St. Petersburg neo-classicism.
The Peter and Paul Fortress is the central site of the State Museum of the History of St. Petersburg, which uses several parts of the fortress to host exhibitions chronicling various aspects of the history of the complex, and of life in the city as a whole.
Grand Palace The Grand Palace at Peterhof was designed to be the centerpiece of Peter the Great's "Russian Versaille". Around 1720, the Tsar gave up on attempts to establish his court at Strelna, mainly because the boggy ground proved entirely unsuitable for the canals and fountains that he envisioned.
The State Russian Museum . Site development: Projector.media. The Russian Museum is the exclusive owner of all the interior images and pieces of art of the Russian Museum collection, as well as all the images and text information given on its official site.
St. Isaac's Cathedral St. Isaac's Cathedral was originally the city's main church and the largest cathedral in Russia. It was built between 1818 and 1858, by the French-born architect Auguste Montferrand, to be one of the most impressive landmarks of the Russian Imperial capital.
St Michael's Castle (Northern facade) St. Michael's Castle (Russian: Миха́йловский за́мок, Mikhailovsky zamok), also called the Mikhailovsky Castle or the Engineers' Castle (Russian: Инженерный замок, Inzhenerny zamok), is a former royal residence in the historic centre of Saint Petersburg, Russia.
The Peter and Paul Cathedral (Russian: Петропавловский собор) is a Russian Orthodox cathedral located inside the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg, Russia. It is the first and oldest landmark in St. Petersburg, built between 1712 and 1733 on Hare Island along the Neva River.
Singer House (Russian: Дом компании «Зингер»), also widely known as the House of Books (Russian: Дом книги), is a building in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It is located at the intersection of Nevsky Prospekt and the Griboyedov Canal, directly opposite the Kazan Cathedral.
Other articles where Smolny Institute is discussed: St. Petersburg: The rise to splendour: Isaac’s cathedrals, the Smolny Institute, the new Admiralty, the Senate, and the Mikhaylovsky Palace (now the State Russian Museum) are representative of the splendid buildings of this period.
The Summer Garden is full of people on warm summer days The Summer Garden is also the location of Peter the Great's first Summer Palace, built by the great Italian architect Domenico Trezzini and still there today. This Summer Palace - a two-storey Dutch-style affair with a high roof and comparatively modest interior - was one of St. Petersburg's first stone palaces. Its original interiors have been preserve to this day.
The town of Pushkin, which surrounds the Tsarskoe Selo estates, is St. Petersburg's most charming suburb. Renamed in Soviet times to honour Russia's greatest poet, the town has numerous sights connected to Alexander Sergeevich, including a museum in the former Imperial Lycee, where he was schooled.
Vasilyevsky Island (Russian: Васи́льевский о́стров, Vasilyevsky Ostrov, V.O.) is an island in St. Petersburg, Russia, bordered by the Bolshaya Neva and Malaya Neva Rivers (in the delta of the Neva River) in the south and northeast, and by the Gulf of Finland in the west.
St. Petersburg's most famous building, the Winter Palace not only physically dominates Palace Square and the south embankment of the Neva River, but also plays a central political, symbolic, and cultural role in the three-century history of the city.
Coordinates The Zoological Museum of the Zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences is a Russian museum devoted to zoology. It is located in Saint Petersburg, on Universitetskaya Embankment. It is one of the ten largest nature history museums in the world.  Peter the Great's Kunstkamera collections included zoological specimens. In 1724, the museum became a part of the Russian Academy of Sciences. A printed catalogue of the contents was published in 1742.