The historic Lyceum building, built on top of the former site of Bridget Bishop‘s apple orchard, has recently been renovated. The building is reportedly haunted by the ghost of Bridget Bishop, the first victim of the Salem Witch Trials, and the building was featured on many paranormal shows such as Ghost Adventures and Ghost Hunters.
SALEM, MA.-The Peabody Essex Museum (PEM) announces the reopening of one of its most storied properties, the Crowninshield-Bentley House. The house, one of 22 historic properties stewarded by PEM, is located at 126 Essex Street in Salem, MA and designated by the National Register of Historic Places. Docent-led tours of the house will resume on June 26, and a public opening celebration for the house will take place during Salem Heritage Week in August.
Derby Wharf Light is about twelve feet square and about 20 feet high to the top of the cupola. Originally, the light was powered by an oil lamp shining through a Fresnel lens. Fresnel lenses are designed to focus and intensify light, and are rated by orders, from first order lenses that are used in the largest seacoast lights, and are almost nine feet tall, to sixth order lights, that are about 17 inches tall.
East India Square Mall is a six minute walk from the Newburyport/Rockport Line at the Salem stop. This location is in the Downtown neighborhood in Salem. Nearby parks include Downtown Salem District, Essex Institute Historic District and East India Square Fountain.
Most recently, the fort was used as an aviation fuel depot for the United States Coast Guard. In 1972, the site was returned to the city of Salem, and military activities ceased entirely in 1976. In 2016 and 2017, the plant overgrowth on Fort Pickering was removed and the site was restored.
Where is the Real Gallows Hill? Rebecca Beatrice Brooks October 20, 2012 November 12, 2017 15 Comments on Where is the Real Gallows Hill? Update: In January 2016, the Gallows Hill Project confirmed that Proctor’s Ledge is the site of the Salem Witch Trial hangings in 1692.
Historic New England acquired Phillips House in 2006 from the board of trustees. The museum offers a variety of public programs that focus on the many stories and objects in the house including an extensive film collection, a variety of antique carriages and cars, and specialty tours that highlight what life was like in Salem in the early twentieth century.
While this museum was not featured in the filming for Hocus Pocus, it is home to an impressive figure of Winifred Sanderson, portrayed in the film by Bette Midler. Count Orlok’s is located at 217 Essex Street and is open as a museum and haunted house throughout the summer and October.
Experience the authentic story of Salem’s most notorious murder. Encounter how Nathaniel Hawthorne spent much of his life trying to escape the legacy of a hanging judge. Find out the Salem locations used in the blockbuster movie Hocus Pocus, but remember the tour is not based on the movie, rather it’s based on Salem’s rich and vibrant history.
The House of the Seven Gables. In 1668, merchant and ship-owner John Turner built a house on Salem Harbor that was destined to become one of America’s most beloved historic homes. Designated a National Historic Landmark District in 2007, The House of the Seven Gables is best known today as the setting of world-renowned American author Nathaniel Hawthorne’s 1851 novel.
John Ward House (Federal Garden area), ca. 1684, is one of the finest surviving 17th-century buildings in New England. It originally stood on a one-acre plot with a kitchen garden, an outhouse, and a well — opposite the jail used during the witchcraft trials. The house was moved to the museum campus in 1910.
Set back from the street, with a large, sloping front yard, The Joshua A. Ward House is an impressive, three story, brick Federal-style structure that is now the home to businesses; Higginson Book Company, and Carlson Realty. It has been restored beautifully, thanks to a grant by the Massachusetts Historical Commission.
Narbonne-Hale House - Cultural Feature (Building) in Essex County Narbonne-Hale House is a cultural feature (building) in Essex County. The primary coordinates for Narbonne-Hale House places it within the MA 01473 ZIP Code delivery area.
Built in 1930 to mark the tercentennial of Massachusetts, Pioneer Village is America's first living history museum. The village sits on three acres of land and contains various examples of colonial architecture: dugouts, wigwams, thatched roof cottages, and the Governor's Faire House.
Proctor's Ledge Memorial Project Mayor Driscoll has announced the date and time at which the City will formally dedicate the new memorial at Proctor’s Ledge, believed now to be the site at which 19 innocent people were hanged in 1692 for the supposed crime of witchcraft.
Coordinates: 42°31′25″N 70°51′58″W / 42.52361°N 70.86611°W / 42.52361; -70.86611 Salem Harbor is a harbor in northeastern Massachusetts spanning an area north and south of Salem. Historically the Salem Harbor was the site of one of the major international ports in the colonies.
The Salem Witch Museum and Museum Store are open year-round*** 10 am - 5 pm daily; 10 am to 7 pm in July and August. We offer extended hours in October. We are closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day and we close at 3:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
The Custom House at Salem Maritime NHS is the last of 13 Custom Houses in the city. There has been a Custom House in Salem since 1649, collecting taxes on imported cargos first for the British Government during the Colonial period, then for the American Government after the establishment of the U. S. Customs Service in 1789.