The second location for Gallows Hill is generally considered to be where the Salem Water Tower is located. The third location, which the author of the guide, at least, considers the most likely, is a small hill bordered by Boston, Pope, and Proctor Streets.
Indulge your adventurous side on over 100 thrilling rides in historic Salem at Canobie Lake Park. Situated on the shores of beautiful Lake Canobie, the amusement park features an assortment of roller coasters, thrill rides, family-friendly attractions, and live entertainment.
The Charter Street Historic District encompasses a small remnant of the oldest part of Salem, Massachusetts that has since been surrounded by more modern development. It includes three properties on Charter Street: the Pickman House, the Grimshawe House, and the Charter Street Cemetery, or Central Burying Point.
The Crowninshield–Bentley House (circa 1727–1730) is a Colonial house in the Georgian style, located at 126 Essex Street, Salem, Massachusetts in the Essex Institute Historic District. It is now owned by the Peabody Essex Museum and open for public tours from June to October.
The Derby Wharf Light, along with the Hospital Point Light in Beverly, Massachusetts, and Fort Pickering Light Station on Winter Island in Salem, were designed to “mark the main channel leading into this anchorage, with the view to its becoming a harbor of refuge which may be safely entered at any time,” in the words of the 1870 report of the lighthouse board to the U.S. Treasury.
East India Square Mall is a six minute walk from the Newburyport/Rockport Line at the Salem stop. This location is in the Downtown neighborhood in Salem. Nearby parks include Downtown Salem District, Essex Institute Historic District and East India Square Fountain.
Fort Pickering is Salem's most historical military landmark dating back to the year 1643. First used for military purposes in 1663, the site was a strategic coastal defense post and military barracks for Salem Harbor from the Anglo-Dutch Wars up until the Cold War.
Where is the Real Gallows Hill? Rebecca Beatrice Brooks October 20, 2012 November 12, 2017 15 Comments on Where is the Real Gallows Hill? Update: In January 2016, the Gallows Hill Project confirmed that Proctor’s Ledge is the site of the Salem Witch Trial hangings in 1692.
The entrance photo above belongs to the Gardner-Pingree House which was built for John Gardner Jr., a wealthy Salem merchant, and his wife Sarah in 1804. The home was designed by Samuel McIntire who was one of the earliest architects in the United States.
Historic New England acquired Phillips House in 2006 from the board of trustees. The museum offers a variety of public programs that focus on the many stories and objects in the house including an extensive film collection, a variety of antique carriages and cars, and specialty tours that highlight what life was like in Salem in the early twentieth century.
The House of the Seven Gables In 1668, merchant and ship-owner John Turner built a house on Salem Harbor that was destined to become one of America’s most beloved historic homes. Designated a National Historic Landmark District in 2007, The House of the Seven Gables is best known today as the setting of world-renowned American author Nathaniel Hawthorne’s 1851 novel.
The John Ward House is a National Historic Landmark at 132 Essex Street in Salem, Massachusetts, United States. With an early construction history between 1684 and 1723, it is an excellent example of First Period architecture, and as the subject of an early 20th-century restoration by antiquarian George Francis Dow, it is an important example of the restoration techniques.
The Narbonne House has the typical interior chimney and peaked roof of a middle class 17th century home. NPS photo. The Narbonne House was built in 1675 for butcher Thomas Ives. It is a remarkable example of a middle-class family home of the 17th and 18th centuries. The taller section of the building is the original house.
Pedrick Store House on its original site in Marblehead, c. 1890. The store house is the large two-and-a-half story building on the left of the photograph. Library of Congress. In the summer of 2007, Salem Maritime embarked on an exciting new project: to reassemble an eighteenth century warehouse on Derby Wharf.
SALEM — Nearly 325 years after 19 people accused of witchcraft were hanged in this city, a group of scholars has finally confirmed the place where they met their fate: Proctor’s Ledge. The Gallows Hill Project, a group of seven scholars, says they were able to definitively identify the location after five years of research, using court records, maps, ground-penetrating radar and aerial photographs.
Behind the Ropes Mansion, at 318 Essex St., is one of the more beautiful and well maintained gardens in Salem. The garden is open to the public free of charge. Ropes Mansion dates back to the 1720s. Built by merchant Samuel Barnard, it was purchased by Judge Nathaniel Ropes II in 1768.
In 1790, Salem Harbor was a world-famous seaport and sixth-largest in the United States of America. Now the harbor is used for commercial and recreational purposes and the Salem Maritime National Historic Site is very popular with tourists from around the world.
When the United States was young, sailors, merchants, and privateers ventured all over the world from Salem, Massachusetts to bring new and exotic goods home to America. In this nine acre park, explore the historic buildings, wharves, and replica tallship that tell the stories of the residents of Salem who helped build the foundation for one of the most powerful national economies in the world.
~ Your local Salem Sound Center Family ~ Jake Rausch - PT Installer / sales; Cameron Aggas - Lead Installer / Custom Design; Donna Firestone - Co-Founder / President; James Firestone - Vice President / Custom Design Consultant; Daniel Moore - Manger / Sales; Rian Sherwood - PT Installer / sales.
12 Federal Street, Salem, MA 01970. firstname.lastname@example.org 978-741-7900 . Parking available on Federal Street across the street from our building, $1/hr during the day; free after 6 pm and Sundays. Parking is also available in the Museum Place Mall garage on New Liberty Street ($.75/hr). For more info, go to salem.org/parking.
Once at Salem Depot, proceed up the stairs to Washington Street. Continue straight down Washington Street to New Derby Street and take a left. New Derby Street becomes Derby Street. The Salem Wax Museum and Salem Witch Village are located at 282 and 288 Derby Street respectively. Bus service is also available.
The Salem Witch Trials Memorial (SWTM) honors those who unjustly lost their lives in 1692. As such, the SWTM is a place of reverence and should be treated with respect and dignity. The Salem Award Foundation raised funds to have the SWTM renovated in 2012.
Salem Witch Village : The Salem Witch Village a 15 min guided tour concerning the myth versus the reality of witchcraft in both the ancient and modern world. Your tour guide, who is also a practicing witch, will take you through our indoor maze and demonstrate scenes that mark important landmarks in Witchcraft history.
Established in 1637, Old Burying Point Cemetery is the second oldest known cemetery in the United States, featuring headstones so old that some are crumbling. Look for the burial spot of John Hathorne--apart from being the great-great grandfather of the famous writer Nathaniel Hawthorne, he was also the judge during the infamous Salem Witch Trials.
The Jonathan Corwin House in Salem, Massachusetts, USA, known as The Witch House, was the home of Judge Jonathan Corwin (1640–1718) and is the only structure still standing in Salem with direct ties to the Salem witch trials of 1692, thought to be built between 1620 and 1642.
WINTER ISLAND MARITIME PARK. RV and Tent Camping Public Boat Ramp; Dinghy Rack Spaces; Gift & Camping Store; Outing Areas for Rent; Public Beach; Salem Trolley Tour Stop; Historic Fort Pickering Lighthouse; Wonderful Wedding Venue; RESERVATIONS. Reservations begin January 12, for the 2015 season. Reservations can be made by phone, email or in person.