The most striking historical buildings of Spanish Town include St. Catherine’s Cathedral (1655), the Rodney Memorial, the House of Assembly, the Court House, and the 17th-century Eagle House. The ruined Old King’s House (1762) was the official residence of Jamaica’s governors until 1870; it was destroyed by fire in 1925. The National Repository contains documents dating to the early years of English settlement. The Jamaica School of Agriculture was founded in Spanish Town in 1910.
The Rodney Memorial - North side of the parade, Spanish Town. The most striking construction surrounding the Park is the Rodney Memorial. The monument was carved in 1801 by the great English sculptor John Bacon, in the likeness of Admiral George Brydges Rodney, a celebrated Commander in Chief of Jamaica. The statue is in honour of the British defeat of a joint French / Spanish invasion of Jamaica in 1782.
Built in 1714, this is the oldest Anglican cathedral in the Caribbean, boasting an impressive beamed ceiling, and a magnificent stained-glass window behind the altar. The church stands on the site of one of the first Spanish cathedrals in the New World, built in 1525.
“For some 30 years, early Spanish colonists placed the capital city at Sevilla La Nueva (St. Anne’s Bay) until they realized that this location was unhealthy and not conducive to settlement. In 1534, they turned their attention to a town surrounded by good farming land that they named Villa de la Vega (Town of the Plain).