A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Does heterogeneous thyroid leads to cancer?

Best Answers

Abnormal tissues such as cystic nodules, adenomas and cancerous tumors appear as heterogeneous structures in thyroid ultrasound imagery. read more

Heterogeneous ultrasound patterns provide physical imaging that may correlate to underactive or overactive thyroid conditions, helping to guide diagnosis and intervention. Thyroid ultrasound is used in conjunction with other diagnostic tools such as blood tests, thyroid scans and biopsies to reach a conclusive diagnosis for thyroid abnormalities. read more

A heterogeneous thyroid gland means that the gland is abnormal, according to the Research Institute of Radiological Science. A normal, or homogeneous, thyroid has uniform tissue throughout. An abnormal thyroid gland often presents with nodules, which may or may not be cancerous. read more

Possibly. Each thyroid nodule has an approx. 5% chance of malignancy, thus a heterogenous could be cancerous. Looking at it the other way, a heterogenous nodule has a 95% chance of not being cancerous. read more

Encyclopedia Research

Wikipedia: